Thread: eMacs and iBook G4's from school with passwords.

Default eMacs and iBook G4's from school with passwords.

I work for an asset recovery company and we have contracts with several local schools to purchase their IT equipment.

I received a large quantity of eMacs a couple months back, and found that they would not read my installation DVD (OS 10.5 retail) nor would they read my Panther CDs (retail as well)

They will read an OEM iMac disc that I have, also 10.5, and that will let me use disk utility and password utilities.

I found that using target mode and a G4 MDD, I was able to install 10.5 on the emacs ( a mix of 1.25 and 1.42 models) and that 95% of the time that got them up and working fine.

A small percentage have a password prompt after going through the menus and entering info, but before it will get to the desktop. This prompt has no username filled in, and my username and no password will not get past it.

I have reset the admin password and verified that there is not a firmware password set and still get the prompt for a PW when trying to boot the machine.

A few weeks ago I received another large shipment of 14" iBook G4s, 1.07 and 1.33Ghz models, and the 1.42's are golden, they boot from my retail DVD and install / work flawlessly.

The 1.07's however will not boot from anything other than the grey OEM disc for the iMac G5, I can use utilities but not install (ofc) and when I use target mode to force feed it to them, I am greeted by the password prompt, and if I back up a step it shows the only account as "other". This appears to be the same condition as the eMacs.

SO.. what password am I up against, and how can I get past it, as these ibooks and emacs are doorstops as they sit.

Again, these were school issue units, and they have been wiped, and reformatted before having 10.5 installed.

Any help is appreciated, and I will do my best to provide any requested info.

Default Welcome to the Guru's Forums

Sorry, your post got hung up for a bit. I'll let a few others post suggestions as they should have a better or more definitive answer than me.

Quite alright, this has been a long term challenge for me. I have a request in with the school we purchased these from for any passwords, but even if they come through I'd love to have a workaround.

Again- any questions that I can answer that will help in determining whats going on will be gladly answered

Default A few long shots.

If the HD is erased..... then where is it? The computer itself. Have you tried swapping a HD.

I don't think a OF reset, or a SMU, PMU it has to be stored or written into BIOS?

Has the power been drained?

Take a look at this Apple document and links from it if you have not seen it. Right here. My first thought is no but it can't hurt.

You tried to reset the password with a DVD install disk right?

Are you sure there is not a firmware PW? If you wiped the HD, there is no place for a PW to hide accept in firmware.....unless there is a hidden partition somewhere.

Did you erase the drive, or just the volume?

The "other" account is tuff, could be root is enabled, but could be something else including a previous remote account from a domain controller. Either would be completely wiped away when you erase the drive though.

If not, could be they were using a tool like Deep Freeze, that may add another layer of credentials. AFAIK, Apple only does: user credentials, firmware PW, and FileVault.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

the only thing I could think of was firmware password. I know there is a way to delete it, but I never used a firmware password and don't recall the tricks or the doings.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the input, I read through this and then tried to boot from a 1.07 ibook using my tower, and the iBook in target mode.. it still came up as passworded, so I have to presume this means that it is not a firmware password and it is something that is left on the hard disk.. hidden partition or whatever.. I formatted the entire disc, not just the partition when doing the initial install, but maybe I need a different disk utility to actually see whatever remnant is remaining? Any suggestions on a good program to use, preferably something I can use a trial of or is shareware until I figure out if that is going to be a solution?

more info.. I have been using the target mode approach to install on the 1.06 ibooks. I am reformatting the entire disk, and doing a fresh install. If I enter user info on the tower while still in target mode, it will boot to desktop, and when I reboot the laptop, it will also go to desktop.

If, when the installation is complete, I turn off the tower and reboot the laptop to enter my user info, instead of going to desktop afterwards, it prompts for the username and password, with the admin user name and password not accepted.

After successfully booting the machine to desktop using target mode, a check of the security tab shows that no passwords are set and filevault is off for that user..

Does this point towards some explanation for the password issue?

You might try using the Password Utility to add a user called root. Give it a password and see if you can log in as root. root user should have no permissions issues with much of anything.

Firmware password is stored on the motherboard, not the OS. I still think you have a firmware password. Firmware, by definition is on the PROMs located on the motherboard.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin