Thread: A Quick stupid FW - OSX question.

Question A Quick stupid FW - OSX question.

OK, I know an Intel 10.6.x won't boot a FW drive that has 10.3.x on it...

but can't I mount it and erase it. Meaning erase the 10.3 FW drive with my iMac.

My neighbor friend has my FW drive data only and his G4 DA reads it fine but his Mac mini no. So will my iMac have the same issue?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Does it show up in Disk Utility's window? A drive need not be mounted to erase it. As long as Disk Utility see's the drive you can do what you like to it
    Damien,

I assumed it would. Just wanted to ask before I got it back. I know he never even looked in DU. So it should be fine.

Right. And when you erase, you need to think about if you need it to be bootable, and bootable for what kind of Mac: PPC or Intel

PPC should be: APM
    Intel should be: GUID

.......Now, if you want to use it for both, use APM. There are few caveats if you use APM on a boot drive for Intel Macs.....but it will boot.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up

Thanks Unc, I was going to ask or double check exactly what/how ... as you had mentioned it in another thread.

Default After reading - very little

Looks like if I erase a partition with Leopard's install DVD 10.5 it will use APM and SnowLeopard's Installer will install GUID -- yes or no?
    ------
    Will or do I need a PPC to erase the PPC Partition. no no I can do this from my iMac 10.6 right.
    ------
    So I have a drive I am putting 3 or 4 partitions on. One partition is for PPC with 10.5 ... How do I first erase the drive or do I just worry about the partition? And the APM -- GUID sounds familiar but just can't think. Not in DU - Right? or use it's partition scheme?

A quick look but did not see it on your site Unc? A search might help.
    -----familiar
    Last edited by rwm; 10-09-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: combine my cluttered posts

By default, DU will format the HD for the machine you are running it on.

For example:

G5 running 10.5: APM
    G5 running 10.4: APM
    Intel running 10.5: GUID
    Intel running 10.6: GUID

These are the defaults, but we can always pick the format we want, at least from an Intel Mac running 10.5 or newer.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Thanks Unc,

That's what I thought after some reading. So on the partition I want bootable on a PPC G4 or G5 - I can just use DU with a G4 and my Leopard Install DVD and as you say by default it will be APM.

These are the defaults, but we can always pick the format we want, at least from an Intel Mac running 10.5 or newer.
    Where.... I do not see it in DU.

.......Now, if you want to use it for both, use APM. There are few caveats if you use APM on a boot drive for Intel Macs.....but it will boot.
    Missed that. Going to just play here first in 10.6.

How large of space did you need for extra's? I am giving the OS about 15 GB each for now. Your page said it could be a 10GB. So, I am going to try or test this....

1. 10.6.4 Intel
    2. 10.5 Intel
    3. 10.5 PPC
    4. Intel extra's - how much space
    5. PPC extras - not as much space I assume?

15 should be good. When you do the install, uncheck the languages and printer options, and the OS should be 5 - 8GB, depending on version.