Thread: burned disc won't play in cd player

Default burned disc won't play in cd player

OK, Mac G4, iTunes .. . I burn a cd to CD-R and it won't play in my new Teac cd player, says reading and then no disc. But when I burn the same file to a CD-RW it plays fine. The CD-R will play in my car. So what gives?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Try a different brand of blank CD.

Verbatim is good as is Sony, TDK, HP, Maxell

Imation has two manufacturing plants they buy from and yep one is pretty good one is terrible. You have to read the spindle codes to know which is which. Or so their reputation says

Memorex is terrible.

I use Verbatim only these days.

This Teac isn't really old is it? WAY back in the day (1995-96) when CD burning was running at a blazing 2x speed. Teac was the most finicky of my gear at reading burned discs

Hey look I said something good about Sony, wonders truly do never cease
    Damien,

Well, what-d-you know, I am using, or did use, memorex! The Teac is new, a P-1260. OK, and I thank you. Guess I'll be changing brands. Wish I'd known before I bought a 50-pac. I missed the warning label, "Buyer beware!"

Again, thanks much.

Robert

Try a different brand but buy a small package (at least at first) to test

I am a big verbatim supporter. If you are buying online 'Taiyo Yuden' is suppose to be the very best but I have never tried them.
    Damien,

Default I've had good luck with Verbatim

I don't use a lot of CD's but just finished up a 100 verbatim's and have 100 more coming. They were used in my G4's, upgrades, many different CD burner's, my Intel iMac, and family's Mac's and PC - rarely a problem.

I'm in the process of converting a lot of my LP's to digital and burning cd's from them. I use Audacity and then export to iTunes for burning. It' a time consuming process anyway without malfunctioning cd's, but I have ordered some Verbatim cd's and hope all will go well. It's very frustrating to purchase something with the assumption that it will do what it says it will do, only to find out that it won't. Maybe there is a combination of factors but shouldn't any blank cd be burnable and playable or am I assuming outmoded standards.

Anyway, I'm glad you people are out there to share your considerable experience and I appreciate your help. Now that's a standard, sharing what you know so we all know more!

Thanks
    Robert McCreary

Yes, frustrating.

The bad news is, it is not that uncommon to have a issues especially with older optical drives being picky or unreliable.

The good news is, optical drives are very inexpensive these days.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

You should be able to expect that what you buy should do what it says but profit trumps all. A company can run low quality knowing that the product will work reliably maybe half the time, will work somewhat another 1/4 of the time and then they hope that of the remaining people with trouble only a very few will return/complain.
    Damien,

Couple or three points.

1. I used to haul two loads a month of "bad CDs" to recycling plants in so-Cal. 26 pallets, about 1200 lbs apiece. Twice a month. And THAT was just the ones that Q.C. caught before they shipped.

2. Verbatim makes good CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I've had some terrible luck with Memorex, and Sony.

Lastly, just because they won't play in the Teac, don't throw them away. Since you're going through iTunes to burn them, it's a good idea to back up the MP3s, and the Memorex discs that suck as music CDs, will still make great data backup discs. Keeps your HD space free, and you always have the files to make more CDs from if you ever need to.
    I'm reminded of the immortal Socrates who said......."I drank WHAT?????"