Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: G-4 tower wiped clean

Default From Apple support...

OK, leaving Monitor etc. hooked to MDD, I booted the other tower holding down
    the T on a second keyboard. Then booted the MDD holding down options key.
    Now I'm getting a three squares:

semi-circle arrow

arrow pointing to the right

square w/picture of hard drive and mac face that is labeled underneath "Macintosh HD"

TDM is continuous 'hold' until the second tower is booted?

Have floating firewire symbol on desktop. Other functional tower is telling me that there is damage to the hard drive and asking if I want Dr. Norton to fix it?

I hit the return button-didn't know what else to do. Good tower said it wasn't it's fault....would I like to turn file sharing off?

OK, I need to hook up monitor to host computor which means I need to locate
    an adaptor that Apple store doesn't carry. Need to go from DVI to VGA on the
    back of functional tower. I'll be back.

A computer booted into Target Disk Mode isn't really booted up, it is acting like a fancy Firewire drive. All drives connected to the computer booted into TDM show up on the other computer as if they were plain old firewire drives. All we are trying to do here is enable you to boot from something on the other computer, using it as an external drive.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

FYI: you don't have to have a monitor on the machine booted to TDM. Just hold T down until you hear the fans spinning, or to be sure, until it mounts on the host machine.....as long as you plugged in the FW cable before starting (recommended).
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Just an update on the G_ MDD....It's up and running w/OS X installed. Can now operate as an independant unit. The Lacie is working but the software wasn't installed so the MDD wasn't reading it....now it is. The internal
    DVD drive/burner is apparently dead and that appears to be the extent of
    the damage for the MDD.....

Thanks so much for all the help, couldn't have done it w/out your help.