Thread: Deja Vu- PowerPC G4 733

Default Deja Vu- PowerPC G4 733

Please reference my previous post below titled : Mac G4 733mhz powerpc Located here.

I have another PowerPC G4 733 that has experienced a very similar problem as my other machine. However, this time there is no sign of life when attempting to power on. I have tried everything you suggested in the previous post but still NOTHING !

Just before the total crash, when powered up there was a very 'fragmented" sounding long beep. Then it went to the traditional grey Apple screen, however, the spinning icon was 2-3x larger than normal ! After a few minutes of spinning, it powered off like it was going to sleep ( monitor shut off ) fan stayed on for a few seconds and then stopped completely.

Again, I've tried everything from the previous post and get nothing.....anyone :?????
    Last edited by rwm; 07-29-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Add other thread link

Try this to test the box:

Pull all the RAM out, and push the power button. The tower should beep at you three times, which is failing the RAM test. If it does, this is good. It means the firmware is functioning correctly.

Put the RAM back in.

Next, if you have not tried it yet, I would do an Open Firmware reset, lower instruction box here. A few other reminders in these Advanced Tips.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Angry

I've tried literally everything. This baby is DEAD ! Not a sign of life, no beeps no nothing......I'm beginning to think the power supply took a crap ????? Any way to verify that with a multi-meter ????

You get no fans, no HD spin up?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

CORRECT- no fans , no HD spins, 100% of nothing !

Yes, sounds like a power supply.

Time to find a newer power supply, or a newer Mac.

Thanks for the input. I keep my older Macs going for as long as possible for the kids to use. Fortunately, our house has enough Macs to go around ! ( newer iBooks). Time to part out the old fellow.......thanks again.