Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Movie Formats

Cool

What you are requesting ain't so simple!! Which DivX you plan to use? The HD version for the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec? Or the old proprietary DivX model? Once you get into media containers, bitstreams, codeces, resolution (pixel density), 8 bit vs. 10 bit color, bitrate during conversion, you will be wading into a jungle where only the select few navigate with ease.

But we are simple people searching for simple answers. Ok. You show me yours, I show you mine. We start with a certified High Definition movie clip, say a 2 min section of original Avatar. You mess with your DIVX, while I convert it to simple .mov for Quicktime. No rules; we set our own parameters. Then we burn the results on plain DVDs, insert them into plain DVD players with plain cabling, and watch both on a high quality LED or plasma TV. Sure, we will see SD only, but which will appear better?

Or you can apply one rule: both files must be the same size, say 50MB. Which will show better? This is a lot of work!!!

The final arbiter is the human eye. If you can burn 4 movies on 1 DVD in five minutes, watch it on your G4, and be pleased with the results, then you found your sweetspot. But if you are salivating over the crispiness and clarity of an HD movie you saw at friend's house on his 50 inch plasma and want the same, then I think you will have to invest some serious money in a modern fast computer.

marrand

Talking

Your right! DIVX works wonderful for my projects .... I was just trying more than anything to get the word out about DIVX 6.5.

Man, many people around the world use and will be using the "lowly G4" for a number of years to come.

I'm going to do the above test ...... two dvds, one SD and one Divx .... same size .... then I'll know for sure.

I don't see much of a challenge invloved.

I should have never brought up divx .... in the same post with HD .... sorry!

I'll be going now, h

Divx was originally a SD MPEG4 converter useful for it's presets, and it's balance of quality and relatively low CPU requirements. Better MPEG4 codecs like 3ivx and XVID eventually eclipsed Divx, but it still hung around. Later when H.264 came out for BluRay use, it was a totally different codec using half the data rate of MPEG4, but used a .mp4 file extension and started to also be called MPEG4. It is confusing but they are different, and have different uses. More often now, H.264 is being referred to as AVC or AVCHD, but they are the same.

Early Divx type of MPEG4 is useful for SD encoding and playback on a G3 or G4, but if the final product is going to be a file played back on a newer computer, then SD or HD, H.264 is the most efficient codec while retaining visual quality and compatible playback. Just to be clear I'm referring to final file products, H.264, MPEG4 or any other highly compressed codec should never be used as an intermediate step or a source file for editing.

If Divx now has an HD encoder, it certainly uses H.264, and may still be useful because of it's presets, but IMO ffmpegx has the best H.264 encoder in it's x264 encoder selection. It's not the easiest program to use though.

Brane...that helmet cam looks awesome...

Confused

Ok despaxas and your fellow gurus: here is a puzzle.

Using Quicktime 7.6 Pro I have no problems deleting or insertin sections of a movie. But I
    encountered a curious problem.

Using iMovie I generated a short 5 second title clip, and inserted it into a larger file at the appropriate place. The QT movie inspector showed these properties:

Short clip: Apple MPEG4 Decompressor, 640 x 480, 29.97fps

Large file: h264, 720 x 480, 30fps

Then I played the large file and the little title showed up very nicely. I was happy. Copied the final to another internal HD (good quality, bought from Macgurus of course), shut off computer, and did other stuff. Later in the evening, I boot up again, and try to look at the file again.

Uh oh!!! Troubles. First, when I click the icon, it will not launch!! I had to wait over 15 seconds. After it did, the little inserted title was no longer there. Movie played up to it, stopped, paused, and then continued, but the little clip was missing. Even frame by frame I could no longer find it. Gone. Disappeared. And no matter how I tried, the full edited file will not launch immediately...........must wait over 15 sec.

So, I erased it and went back to the original (without the insert). Launched and played perfectly.

Questions:
    1. was this caused by mixing two different formats? each with different aspect ratio?
    2. why did the problem show up only after reboot?
    3. I can take the little clip and upgrade it to h264, 720x480. Is that the solution?

marrand

Sorry for the late reply, I've been unusually busy this summer and sometimes it's hard to find the time to sit down.

It's been so long you may have already figured this out, but Quicktime isn't working right because the files have been moved. To really save what you have done you must export it to a new file. While this would fix your problem, the resulting file will have been needlessly put through the conversion process a second time since Quicktime will reencode the original two files. As with anything, video, audio, film etc. your workflow must contain the fewest number of conversions as possible to retain the quality of the original. So if the files you receive are recognized by iMovie, and you're making the titles in iMovie, then just do it all in iMovie so the files only get converted once; the exported final file from iMovie. Your titles will look much better.

Question

i've a question .... if I download a DIVX movie, then burn a DIVX DVD with Toast 9 .... does it go through DIVX compression twice?

thanks, h

I don't have Toast 9, but Toast 8 and 10 have an option in the preferences that let's you change if toast will reencode DIVX (and also MPEG2) files or not. It's settings are Automatic, Always or Never. Just try it both ways and see if the burn time is affected, then you will know for sure.

Roger that!

I'll be back, h

Wink

You are right despaxas: I figured out how to fix my problem but do not understand why it happened. And frankly, I am not inclined to reproduce it; as long as the "fix" works, I am happy.

I am convinced the apparent corruption of the composite QuickTime movie was caused by mixing two entirely different file segments: Apple MPEG4 Decompressor, 640 x 480, 29.97fps with the larger h264, 720 x 480, 30fps.

Let me share this experience which might interest a few readers. My old 8mm film reels have been converted using the most modern telecine machines into HD high data rate*files, some .avi, some MPEG-A. I call this my high quality stock, yet they play only on my computer. Why? Because I don't have the BlueRay players, nor the cabling to see it on TV. They are meant to be shared by the many members of my family, and hardly any have this gear. All they can do is view high quality SD using standard DVD players, like myself. So, until the family is ready, I am preparing a set of DVD's which will display*the old movies on any TV with the best practical quality.

So, I "downgrade" my HD stock using iSkysoft converter to a common final state: h264, 720 x 480, 30fps, QuickTime. Then I prepare simple titles using iMovie, using fancy colored text only, each about 6 sec, and export as QuickTime movie. Then I "upgrade" it with iSkysoft to the same level, i.e. h264, 720 x 480, 30fps, QuickTime. When I copy and paste the titles into the main events, they all play well now, without any problems. Later I will use*iDVD to combine the*titled chapters into about 1 hour segements, each 2.5 - 3GB. They will play using any DVD device.

At this point I don't understand why I should worry about DIVX. No one in my family has it. Perhaps this is unfair to Hazkell. None of my home movies so far are of good enough quality to warrant HD viewing.

You shouldn't worry about it!

I was just bringing up the possibility of using DIVX mainly to .. save time, blank disks and still have HQ video and audio files.

I didn't consider making copies for others to view ....

The "audio / video power pushers" are constantly trying to make the best product available smaller and more compact.

"cause the good times they are changing"....... Bobby D
    You know technology is changing so fast it makes ones head spin.
    The consumer will never catch-up .... and will pay the price as always.

Remember back in the "90s" when mp3s were really getting started .... most pro musicians hated mp3s and digital recordings the most of their masterpieces
    Today .... mp3s and audio / video are well accepted.

There are DIVX players for cheap or get a combo player that has all of them.

Who's to say which is better for your projects ......
    As always "crap in ... crap out"
    It doesn't really matter .... let your eyes and ears tell the real story!

I would say for your projects ... go with SD .... "every bodies happy now".

I shut up now, h

ps: Just forget I even posted about DIVX .... ok!

Default movie editing

Ok, a different question about movies.
    Now that I am viewing home made movie in quicktime, how do I edit it? Say, frame by frame? Or a batch of frames?
    I am talking about photoshop type changes:
    1. Say a piece of dirt on one or two or three frames. How can I treat each as a still picture and remove the blemish using a photoshop type tool (brush)?
    2. Or sharpen? Or adjust color balance?
    3. Or adjust the focus for entire clip? Color adjust a section of the clip?

Does Adobe have such software? I looked around their website and got confused.

Try Adobe After Effects to export a clip frame by frame.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

QT7Pro will export an 'image sequence' which is the same thing. I assume you can re-integrate them into a movie but I have never tried that
    Damien,

Confused Adobe Premier

From QuickTime Clip I can export a frame into Photoshop, adjust it, and import back again. But I rather make the same adjustment for the entire clip or section of the clip.

I downloaded trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro 5, good for 30 days. It was too much for me - I could figure out iMovie, but this new beast floored me. I started reading all the help chapters they providedl; my gosh, this is a graduate school course!! Adobe does not provide a simple step by step manual for the true beginner like me, but if there is one, someplace, anyplace, can you tell me where I can get it? Adobe assumes the user already knows heck of a lot.

At first I would like to adjust the brightness and sharpness of various sections of the 15 minutes clips I have in my computer, both in HD and SD versions.

......are you cleaning up the Zapruder film?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

No unclemac.........I never heard of a Zapruder film.
    I trying to improve the digitized clips of my old 8mm family movies.

Yes you have.....you just forgot.

Over the years many entities have edited and cleaned it....but that is whole other forum.

I hope your editing project is a little more light hearted.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Unhappy

No Unclemac, my project is anything but light hearted: the subject is my family but I have no clue what I am doing and that gives me a heavy heart.

I have downloaded a bunch of free tutorials on Premiere Pro CS5, and will attempt to memorize them. This is tough stuff. But I rather do this than learn how to maintain and fix Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by marrand View Post
    Ok, a different question about movies.
    Now that I am viewing home made movie in quicktime, how do I edit it? Say, frame by frame? Or a batch of frames?
    I am talking about photoshop type changes:
    1. Say a piece of dirt on one or two or three frames. How can I treat each as a still picture and remove the blemish using a photoshop type tool (brush)?
    2. Or sharpen? Or adjust color balance?
    3. Or adjust the focus for entire clip? Color adjust a section of the clip?

Does Adobe have such software? I looked around their website and got confused.
    Hi, I see you got an 8 core. Plenty fast to do editing even real time HD is no sweat. Try Final Cut Studio, they got a lot of plugins. Watch this video Also final cut has an amazing color corrector and its in realtime with your setup. You can do layers upon layers of correction and effects. Cheeers

Yes, now that you're wanting to color correct and enhance, Final Cut Pro (in Final Cut Studio) is really your best bet. Premier's interface has always been unintuitive, FCP is much easier but there will still be a learning curve, just a smaller one.

Loved the Zapruder reference unclemac...