Thread: Slow writing onto Burly 5 Bay PM enclosure. Lots of Testing.

Default Slow writing onto Burly 5 Bay PM enclosure. Lots of Testing.

I have been using the 5 bay burly enclosures for my photo libraries. Yesterday after a shoot, I went to upload the Sandisk cards via my Lexar Pro FW800 Card readers. For some reason instead of the normal 3-5 minutes to copy a card I was given an estimated time of 5 hours for a 4gig card.

My system set up is as follows

2x3 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
    16 GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM
    Mac OSX Version 10.5.8

LYCeSATA-4e Lycom PCIe SATAII PM Host for PC and Macs

two 5 bay burly Port Multiplier enclosures
    Burly 1 is RAID 0 with 5 7200.11 Seagate drives
    Burly 2 is RAID 0 with 5 7200.11 Seagate drives

Bay 1 backs up to Bay 2 nightly via Syncronize Pro at 3am.

TESTING
    ----------

I originally thought to be one of my Sandisk cards, but all the cards responded slowly not just a single card while copying to Burly 1.

I then swapped out the Lexar Pro fw800 card readers and and cables, but still had the large amounts of copy lag.

I then tried to copy from the CF cards to the desktop (not the burly)
    *This worked at a normal copy speed*

I then tried copying the CF cards directly to Burly 2 (the backup enclosure)
    *This worked at a normal copy speed*

Retested trying to write to Burly 1(the main enclosure)
    *Still slow 4 hour copy time*

Tested copying from Burly 1 to Burly 2.
    *Normal speed* This makes me believe that there is something wrong with writing to the Burly 1. Since I was able to copy from Burly 1 to Burly 2 at a normal speed.

I then ran verify on Burly 1 within disk utility and saw no issues.
    -------------

So now I am out of ideas, it seems to be tracked down to writing onto the HDs in the Burly 1, but I could have over looked something. Would love to get some input and advice on how best to proceed.

Many thanks in advance,
    Chris Rhoads

Chris,

Just to make certain of the setup details... can you open System Profiler and check which slot the Lycom card is in? And then go down under Software in Extensions and tell me which version SiliconImage3124 driver is in the list?

We'll figure out something.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Driver 3124u #2.0.3

I'll pull the case in a few hours to check what slot its in.

best,
    Chris Rhoads

Just look at PCI cards in System Profiler, it will tell you which slot. The card is called: 1095,3124

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Type: RAID Controller
    Driver Installed: Yes
    Bus: PCI
    Slot: Slot-2@2,0,0
    Vendor ID: 0x1095
    Device ID: 0x3124
    Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1095
    Subsystem ID: 0x7124
    Revision ID: 0x0002

Also just for your own knowledge, i have had the set up for over a year. So the issue seems to be not based on a new addition of hardware.

Thanks again!
    Chris Rhoads

I am not a big fan of putting any host cards in SLot 2. Since Apple released the March 2008 MacPro firmware updater all MacPros have suffered from issues in that slot. The slot works well with a graphics card in it though.

Other than that, I would probably try the drives in the other Burly. And I would try reformatting the RAID or running Disk Warrior on it to see if you can fix a corruption in the index or partition maps.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin