Thread: Can't boot from VelociRaptor on Sata unless I reset PRAM

Default Can't boot from VelociRaptor on Sata unless I reset PRAM

Weird problem started a couple months ago. MacPro, 2x2.8 Quad Xeon, running 10.5.8 with 2 external sata drives in a Burly. Using a WD VelociRaptor for my system drive on the internal sata bus. For some reason if I do a reboot it hangs with a gray screen unless I hold down the keys to reset the PRAM (Cmd-Opt-P-R). If I don't, I get a hang at a gray screen. Power off, power on then Cmd-Opt-P-R everything boots fine. Fortunately I don't need to reboot very often but it is annoying and I would like to fix. Obviously something is corrupt stopping the boot but I'm looking for help on how to fix. What is really weird is I can boot off any of the other three sata drives on the internal bus no problem. Suggestions?
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

That is strange.

You might try a SMC reset. Beyond that, it would be interesting to see if WD has any firmware updates or any other info for your model drive. You might also swap drive tray locations to see it the issue follows the drive or the bay.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default One other data point, WD replaced the drive on warranty when it first started...

but the problem continued with the new one. So I have a factory fresh drive. I'll try the bay swap and see if anything changes.
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

I am afraid we did no testing with the Velociraptors. So I don't know where the compatibility issues might be. Because the drive is based on a 2.5 inch platter size its performance trails todays 7200 RPM 3.5 inch drives. When WD dropped the 3.5 inch Raptor for the 2.5 inch Velociraptor we stopped carrying them.

That statement is not a critique of someone deciding to use one to speed up their system - to each their own. It is the basis for why we never did the follow through testing and research to make sure the drives worked right in a Mac. The original 3.5" Raptors had some significant compatibility issues in G5s attached to the motherboard SATA bus. They worked fine on third party PCI card buses for the most part.

You are probably experiencing some problem based on internal bus chipset and the Velociraptor. Worth the time to do a bunch of Google searches to see if others are having the same issues.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Raptors and G5

Rick, you got me worried: "The original 3.5" Raptors had some significant compatibility issues in G5s attached to the motherboard SATA bus". Are you referring to the 3.5" 10K models? I have a bunch of those, and used them in both the original G5 and in my current intel 8core G5. No problems at all with any that I bought from you.

A cheapie needed replacement from WD, but this factory fresh unit was faulty also. I wouldn't dream of using the 2.5" models now.

The recent Barracuda's seem just great, even though they run at 7500.

marrand

marrand, that's 7200 rpm We know what you mean. I'll let Rick discuss the drives.

It was not often talked about any longer. I did a quick search which actually finds a thread that you posted on as well. Has interesting comments about the issue.

Highlighted Raptor and firmware in post

A good place to start this conversation. Too much variety of opinion and everyone's results were so varied, that we have to do some searching to figure out what the problem was. And frankly, I no longer remember which models had what problems with which G5s.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin