Thread: Built in Memory

Default Built in Memory

The built-in memory test has detected a problem with cache memory. Please contact a service technician for assistance.
    Huh? Yup, that's what happens when i boot up in OS9 on the G4 DA (listed below). I thought it odd so I started it up in Leopard and ran Techtools. Nothing wrong, anywhere.

If a lightling bolt hits you and you say " oh yea that's . . . . "

It still runs just fine. Sometimes it tells me the finder quit, it still runs, no restart. It's old, old computers act that way some times. Ya think?

Never seen that one.....what cache I wonder?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello,

maybe 3rd party (Gigas) Cache enabler software didn't load right or isn't installed.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Confused A Head scratcher

I have the same system. A friend is using it right now. Running 10.5.8 with a Dual 1.6 Giga in what was a 533MHz DA with 1.5 GB RAM all Guru's. I did have Apple's and Guru's mixed also. Never had that error message.
    It's old, old computers act that way some times. Ya think?
    I would agree.... except it makes no sense... other than age.

Default Answer to My Question

OS9 started running really poorly so I had to find out what was wrong. This was the fix, I don't get that message any more.

Open up the Mac and remove the PMU battery, for about 5 minutes
    reinsert and then reset PMU using the button up and to the left of the battery more here. Then start-up using the PRAM-ZAP salute (Apple + Option + P + R) give it two chimes and it should boot.

OF course if you have a Gigadesigns processor you will need to boot into OS10 first and then you can boot into OS9.

Rick, it was nice to be able to look back and find all the old Gigadesigns posts, thanks.

Opps, left out one detail.

You have to open the Giga application and select enable OS9 to bootup. Then you can restart in OS9.

How fast we forget those things. I miss my Giga/DA but was I was not really using it. Now a friend that is also a single mom and her two Jr. High age kids are getting a lot of use from it. - a better use.