Thread: New endeavor

Default New endeavor

Over the years I find myself looking for the same info repeatedly, or sending others to look for it. Some is here, some is there..... I always wished for one place to put the Mac tech info I need most often.

I stopped wishing, and started building my own site. The goal is to consolidate Mac tech support and troubleshooting info. A true FAQ list that I can use and direct others too.

I actually started over a year ago, but then shelved the project as life kept interrupting.

Anyway, please check it out, and let me know what you think if you see something you like or don't like. Ideas and tips to be added are always welcome, though I do this in my spare time late at night, so I can't promise to add everything. Still have a long way to go with just the stuff I want!

Mac IT Department

At some point I do plan to add some Google ads or the like....if I get enough traffic, I might actually make it worth my while. I won't have any user forum, as this is the place to be, but there will be a blog I hope to keep fairly current, with comments welcome.

I do plan to keep current on Mac stuff, at the expense of legacy stuff. Nothing prior to systems that can run OS 10. Just too much out there to catalog, with falling interest, and I don't need it personally.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Looks good so far. Likely I'll be needing this when/if I ever move out of PPC land. I am way behind the curve in my general Mac knowledge.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Looks good. How soon do you expect the other sections to arrive?

I did notice a booboo though. In How To>Tech DriveIY at the bottom of the first section the text "So what to do? Build your own." is cut off
    Damien,

Thumbs up

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Lot's to learn and tweak to get the pages formatted and looking good.

As for time, I am totally winging it. Still cleaning up and wrapping up the PMU and SMC pages... Hope to add a couple pages a week, sometimes more.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

My first peek looked good - just looked. I'll look it over better later...

Looks like a long term endeavor. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Happy to help.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Damien: Were you viewing on a Winders box? I see that both IE and FF render the fonts differently from an XP VM, causing the text to be cut off. Looks OK in Safari and FF on 10.6 for me.

Unc, my iMac, Safari 4.0.4, 10.6.2 I see what Damien sees but when I downsize the page with AA I don't see it.

Hmmmm.....lots to learn.

Will have to find the lowest common denominator for fonts and layout. Fun!

thanks for the feedback.

Nice page Unc!

I would do a CSS with rendering prefixes for each individual Browser/OS combination (think Linux as well most sites aren't Linux savy). Saves time also when new browser apear like Chrome or maybe you want it to be displayed different on a smartphone.

Yep, yell if you need a hand!

Regards
    Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Here's a html xhtml validator link you can use to check your pages:

http://validator.w3.org/check

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up

unclemac great sight! I've attempted to use it several times. Will have to wait for the opne spots but when it's done you and everyone else will be pleased. I'd guess you might be more pleased than most.

thanks. Hope it proves useful for you. A long way to go yet. Filling in Mac Management links the last couple posts.

Uh....you lost me though. Open spots....huh? Can you clarify?

I was referring to the areas still under construction. Sorry to confuse you. Best of luck, I'll be watching and waiting.