Thread: Tiger, Leopard questions

Default Tiger, Leopard questions

Some questions regarding OS choice:

I'm on a dual 2.3 G5 with 8G RAM. Since a G5 was initially intended to use Tiger, does a G5 inherently work "better" in Tiger than Leopard, even though Leopard will run on it? I had heard that some apps if not coded properly can eventually cause problems using Leopard on a G5. Is that true?

Also, does Tiger require less of my CPU / any reason to use Tiger over Leopard? I have drives with both OS's so I can use either.

Do the core audio changes from Tiger to Leopard improve the outputted audio in Leopard over Tiger? The dilemma is if Tiger is better on the CPU, let's say, but Leopard outputs a cleaner audio file... I had seen a chart showing artifacts during sample rate conversion being cleaner using Leopard versus Tiger via the same audio app (Logic). Is there a basis for that, and does it apply to all audio output or just sample rate conversion?

I'll put two cents in here. I've never be a early adopter. I didn't even touch OS 10 until it was 10.7. Early versions have bugs that need to be worked out. I wasn't even interested in Leopard for my G4 DA. And I do believe that there were some glitches in 10.5 and now we are at 10.6.2. But 10.6.2 will only run on Intel Macs. Don't know if it's really worth moving up. 10.5 didn't really stick around very long.

Can't really answer your questions about the processing that takes place.

Someone around here will know much more than I do, maybe they can give you better view.

Subjective, but I think you would like 10.5 best between the two. That said, it may come down to the specific software and how it runs on the OS, not the OS itself. Sorry, zero help on pro audio stuff.

Since you have both ready to boot, why not test yourself? Gut feel is good, but you can open Activity monitor and watch and document resource usage. Then you can tell us.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by Unclemac
    Subjective, but I think you would like 10.5 best between the two ....it may come down to the specific software and how it runs on the OS, not the OS itself. Sorry, ......
    I Agree with Unc on this one. Really tough to answer. I'd try 10.5 myself.