Thread: Running apps from a different system drive

Default Running apps from a different system drive

In the same vein as your tutorial about having docs, apps, etc. on separate drive / partition [from the system] comes this question:

I have one drive that is Tiger, one drive that is Leopard. If I'm booted in Leopard, could I run an app that resides on the Tiger drive without eventually causing problems?

I've tried this and most run fine, except for Photoshop—I had to install it on Leopard also. When some apps are installed it appears they install many "pieces" so I wondered if it may be missing parts that could eventually cause issues if it is not properly installed on the drive with the system?

I question this because of the tutorial info, not to save space, although it would keep the other drive leaner too. Thanks.

Biggest problem will be that some Tiger Apps are likely to be different from Leopard or Snow Leopard Apps. Other than that it matter not at all where an application is. You can run applications that are stored on another computer and launched over the LAN.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Biggest problem will be that some Tiger Apps are likely to be different from Leopard
    The apps on my Tiger drive state in their requirements "10.4 and above". There are some 10.5 only apps which are of course only installed on the Leopard drive. You are just meaning apps that were more or less abandoned by the developer around 10.4 so they may or may not work well in Leopard?

The only one I had to install so far that I tried was Photoshop CS2, and maybe that was because of Adobe's computer registration tracking, or maybe because it was pre-Leopard. But because they install so much stuff, I wondered if it would be running "half-equipped".

Thanks.

Most apps will be fine. Adobe has protection that makes it always easier to reinstall. Most apps will work fine. The one issue is those that have library items and preferences stored on the root drive. Those items get left behind since by default the app will look for them at /Library which is always the OS drive that you are booted to, not the one the app is stored on.

Ric
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    The one issue is those that have library items and preferences stored on the root drive. Those items get left behind since by default the app will look for them at /Library which is always the OS drive that you are booted to, not the one the app is stored on.
    That's exactly what I meant by "half-equipped". Is it a matter of trial and error, or will some apps appear to work while eventually messing something up by not being completely installed? Maybe I'm really not benefitting much by not re-installing them, but it was the separate drive and leaner Leopard directory I was thinking of (by having most apps on the Tiger drive while booted in Leopard). Sorry for belabor this.. I was wanting to learn.

So many thousands of apps that I have not even close to an idea of a comprehensive list. For the most part a big flagship app like Photoshop is easier to reinstall. Most smaller apps have no library items. Close as I can get to a common rule of thumb.

I am afraid that all of us here have had our applications on separate drives for so long that most of those apps were never installed on root in the first place. So we have a limited worldview/history to base a more specific discussion on. I have had a couple of time over the years where I reinstalled an application that behaved abnormally after being moved. And I have a couple of times gone back and figured out all the files that were installed and tried to copy them, for fun, with Photoshop. In the end I found that current (circa CS2 or newer) Adobe Suite applications are easier to reinstall than copy - for me. Other users have spent the time and got the copy to work.

Generally speaking Adobe is the only stuff we ever have conversations about.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin