Thread: Setting up.... User Accounts

Default Setting up.... User Accounts

I have never had to set additional accounts up or if I did they... they were all admin.

So one of my G4's I am giving away needs to be setup an Standard or probably with Parental Controls.

I'll set it up with Parental Controls and see haw it works.

Downloading anything is the parents main concern.

Their PC gets constantly infected.

Comments or suggestion.

Do it up.

Parental controls get better - both more sophisticated and easier to use - with the latest OSes.

Just dive in and try it, don't forget to check out the help. Built for parents, not IT folks so pretty easy all in all. Yell if/when you have specific questions.

If you can run 10.5 on that box, I would recommend it for the user account stuff. If not, don't sweat it. 10.4 is very usable.

I would suggest no password for the Kids account. Nothing to forget, and it is a secure account, so no risk.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Thanks again Unc

I will yell if need be. Yes it's running 10.5.8 and seems straight forward.

Default A little off topic....

I just found out her Dell has a 250GB Hard Drive and a 1.8x GHz processor but only 256MB memory. This should run fairly good with more memory -- right?

Better than a Dual 1.6GHz Giga in a DA 10.5.8, 1GB RAM, 10K Raptor/Seritek/1S2 and GF Ti 4600?

I retained ownership ... if she decides not to use it.

With her PC running she needs a router so both children can do homework and internet at the same time.

Where to find a cheap non wireless router?

I ordered this in August, 2008. Works great but my son set it up about a year ago as I recall. It was just sitting in my closet when he asked if I had a router. k

Just curious, how has this worked out?

Also curious about Unc's statement:
    I would suggest no password for the Kids account. Nothing to forget, and it is a secure account, so no risk.
    What makes it a secure account? k

The Giga Mac has worked good. I am not sure if they use the accounts or not. She is coming to get her PC today. A friend put her HD in his PC cleaned it up and it boots now. It's a 1.8 GHz P4 and only had 256MB RAM he added another 256MB chip so that will help some - 512MB Total Ram.

Hi Kaye,

What I meant was that by not being an admin account neither the user nor a hacker can do anything destructive - accidentally or maliciously. Can't install software, can't delete parts of the OS, can't see or access any of the other user data.....etc. Can't do any harm, so about as safe as computing gets.

Adding a password to the account will not make it any more safe.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

OK I get it. Thanks Unc. k