Thread: SI2121 beta drivers with Addonics card

Default SI2121 beta drivers with Addonics card

I use a 4tray Burley enclosure at work for our server backup so I pop in here occasionally. At home I have a Firmtek dual bay esata enclosure connected to an Addonics ADSA3GPX1-2 that uses SiL2132 drivers. I am not running Snow Leopard on either machine.
    I saw a mention of SiL3132 beta drivers with a download that goes to a version 1.1.11u_SiL_Pkg_BETA.zip. It was mentioned in an October posting. I tried to find these or a final release pkg at Siliconimage.com but was unsuccessful there, however the Addonics web page showed an ADSA3GPX1-2EM card but made no mention of SnowLeopard. It did, however provide a link to a SiL3132_1.1.9u pkg of drivers but makes no mention of my older card model.
    In preparation for SnowLeopard (I'm in no hurry), does anyone know if the SiL 1.1.9u will work on my MacPro with the Addonics card (2port) and Firmtek enclosure? Firmtek does have updated firmware for their enclosure listed for SnowLeopard.
    I ask this here because I trust you and if there is an issue with the Addonics/Firmtek combination I need a solution. I realize this isn't a MacGuru issue per se but so far I've found no answer at Addonics or Firmtek. I've had other MacGuru enclosures in the past and was hoping somebody here could say "yea" or "nea" on my setup and the new SiL drivers with a MacPro (second generation) that's moving up to SnowLeopard.
    A second, more general question regards downgrading. The Firmtek enclosure firmware updates showed some for SnowLeopard and some for 10.5 and earlier. Is SnowLeopard so different that updating firmware for enclosures and esata PCIe cards would make it hard to return to 10.5? A friend just returned to 10.5 after problems with SL on a MacBookPro and as my machine is my business at home, Any SL problems that would cause me to want to return to 10.5 would be horrible if doing so made my external drives unusable after updating firmware and PCIe drivers. Whew. Thanks for any help you can give. Hope I was clear.
    exhausted after xmas and ready to relax for a year while the elves work...

Howdy -

First things first: A full backup (clone) to an non eSATA drive is essential, so you can roll back to 10.5 painlessly.

Maybe Rick or others know, but I wonder if the Addonics card is the same drivers as any of the Firmtek models. My understanding is that some of the Firmtek cards have their own unique drivers, while others have a generic (Silicon Image) drivers.

If your card can use generic SI drivers, Firmtek may not be the place to look. Other brands based on SI might work, such as Sonnet. Just a guess though.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Looking at the Addonics download page, the Mac drivers are 3/4 the way down. True enough, the drive for your card has a PDF that mentions an older driver 1.1.6.......but the linked download is for version 1.1.9

Guess the only way to know if it works is to try it.

Looking at the Sonnet page, they have a 1.1.9........plus the 1.1.11 links for SI based cards.

......Clues, at least.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

ex-Cupertino, CA, USA. Now HU+SRB (Europe).

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Howdy -

First things first: A full backup (clone) to an non eSATA drive is essential, so you can roll back to 10.5 painlessly.

Maybe Rick or others know, but I wonder if the Addonics card is the same drivers as any of the Firmtek models. My understanding is that some of the Firmtek cards have their own unique drivers, while others have a generic (Silicon Image) drivers.

If your card can use generic SI drivers, Firmtek may not be the place to look. Other brands based on SI might work, such as Sonnet. Just a guess though.
    Indeed, all our cards have our own drivers and since I wrote them - I made it damn sure, they will run only on FirmTek cards. The opposite is not true: there is nothing what would prevent anyone using SeriTek/2SE2 to use generic SImage drivers at will - but as my understanding SImage won't ever release 64-bit versions of Snow Leopard drivers. Hence, if anyone is planing to use Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode and use a SImage 3132-based card, only FirmTek can do that.

Sonnet uses generic SImage drivers for their cards; the drivers for their 2-channel eSATA cards on their web site are generic. An other good source of generic SImage drivers is the SImage web site.

As for Addonics: they do not manufacture any cards, they buy them from LyCom.

...And there you go.

Always nice to hear from those who know.