Thread: Dual 2GB G5 doesn't see all memory

Default Dual 2GB G5 doesn't see all memory

I'm having a problem with a PowerMac Dual 2GB G5 that doesn't see all memory sticks.
    Here's what I've found, so far:
    Any pair of sticks in the 2 inner slots causes a distorted chime on start up and System Profiler Diagnostics says memory test failed.
    System Profiler>Hardware>Memory always shows the first 4 positions (J11, J12, J13, J14) as empty, even when they're not.

With those slots empty, the machine starts normally and passes Diagnostics.

Is anyone familiar with this behavior? Solutions?

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

Seen alot of G5s over the years, but never that issue specifically. Have seen a couple that had bad RAM slots. It happens. Could be that one of the pair (or both) are bad, or some other related board problem. Just a guess though.

NVRAM/open firmware reset, PMU reset.......that's about it. Beyond that, you get into pulling RAM to see if it passes the no RAM test, or bigger things like reseating CPUs, which G5s seems to be sensitive to. Have seen a handful of them die mysterious deaths over the last year, so I am a bit jaded when I see G5s doing weird things. We all hoped they would be 10+ year work horses, but they (as least some) are not IMHO.

If the box is stable as is.....run it that way? Sometimes stability is the best test.

Let's see if other have more insight.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi Brian (?)

Yeah, stability is good. I do hope to hear from others, though. There was a recent thread on a similar problem, but there is no resolution in the thread.

<http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25370&highlight=memory+problem>

Let's see if anything comes up.

Thanks

Peter