Thread: Quicksilver, 1TB drives, & SATA card

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quicksilver, 1TB drives, & SATA card

Hello,

I have a dual 1 GHz Quicksilver (2002) with 1.5 GB RAM, that I decided to upgrade with 2 1 TB drives hooked up to a SATA card. Now this card and the drives have been mounted in a G4 AGP with a faulty owc cpu upgrade (one more reason to move them to the QS), but when I put the card and drives in the QS, they don't show up. I tried each of the PCI slots, but no dice.

The SATA card is here:
    http://www.ratocsystems.com/products...e/pci15pm.html

(sorry, live in Japan, so most of my stuff is bought locally)

The QS is running 10.4.11, so maybe I should upgrade to 10.5 and try again?

I'll continue troubleshooting at home, but any advice would be welcome.

Cheers,

S

Don't know a thing about that card... does it require a driver? If so, look around for one and install it. See if the card reports in Apple System Profiler.

RIck
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default SATA Card & QS 2002

Rick,

Well, no driver was required for the AGP machine - I just plugged it in, attached the drives, and they mounted no problems. Fearing I might have done something to the card while moving it about, I put it back in the AGP... and the drives mounted.

Not at home now, but will check to see what the apple profile says about the card in the AGP. But I recall seeing it show up under "PCI Cards".

Thanks for the quick response.

S

Never seen that one either.

Ran into a similar problem with a QS and an ATA card once, but it had to do with both firmware for the card, and drivers......all required for an OS update. Without either firmware or drivers.....not sure what you can do. Are both machines running the same OS?

Would be interesting to see if you could find the drivers on the AGP machine and copy them over. Was there a CD that came with the card?

A google gets me this. OK, this looks like the (translated) download page, but you need your product code? Weird.

lots more, but I don't know what exactly to look for!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Another classic RTFM moment...

So,

I'm going thru the SATA card website, and then I notice that there are links to the manuals for different cards, the one I have among them. The product description page has details regarding Windows installation, but nary a word on OSX. I find the correct manual, download the pdf, and... there's a whole chapter for installing OSX drivers.

Then I check the disk that came with the SATA card, and same thing.. So, when I get home, I'll try again from the start. Sorry for wasting people's time here, but the curious thing is...

Both machines are running OSX 10.4.11, but only the older one (AGP) mounts the drives without the driver. Very weird.

Thanks again for your time, I'll see what happens and report back (positive OR negative results).

S

Good deal. Sounds like there is hope.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

This is perfect type of question to ask on our forums. You are interested in a good answer as it will get the darn thing working. We enjoy this as we also get a chance to learn something about a card none of us had ever heard of.

Of interest to me: we sell a Ratoc Firewire->SCSI converter. However, it appears the Ratoc that makes it is different from the Ratoc that made your SATA card. Here's the company english page for Ratoc that we do business with:
    http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/index.html

Doesn't appear to have any commonality with the one you posted.

Interesting. Thanks for posting here! Never know what it will end up teaching all of us.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin