Thread: New to site need help! Changed 'Short name' cant login! please help

Default New to site need help! Changed 'Short name' cant login! please help

Hi i read another thread like this here and mine is nearly the same case..

I read on another site about changing the 'short user name' on my macbook pro running leopard 10.5 and i followed some bad advice and did it through advanced options and i closed the lid and opened it again to login and it wont let me.. im really freaking out and i am scared i am going to lose my files!

please help!!! thanks, leah

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Have you tried using your complete account name? The one that didn't change?
    Damien,

it comes up with the usual login name that has always been there and i tried typing in the usual password and didnt work, so i tried using the short name i changed it to 'leah' and it didnt work either. i dont have another login account on the computer, just the original one.

Still fighting this?

One way around this issue that will let you get your files is to reset your Mac so that the startup wizard runs, which will allow you to make a new admin account.

It takes a few commands in single user mode. Yell if you want to try it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

yes please!
    i am no pro so, simple as possible please.. thank you so much!

One other way is to boot to the OS installer CD and use the Password Manager to modify the account password and user name. Boot to the CD, after selecting language the next page will have Password Manager under the Utilities pul down in the menu bar.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

ok so i put the OS cd in and it starts automatically or do i need to press something? will i lose any files, photos this way? sorry for the 20 questions but i am a beginner. thanks

Ignore the installer prompts. Up on the toolbar on the second window, there are some options, including the one Rick mentioned. Lets you reset the PW for any valid user it detects. You will want to take note of exactly what the user name is, any spaces and capital letters.

If this does not let you in, I can give you some brief instructions on how to safely make a new user so you can get your data from the old user.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Ok so i inserted the OS disk and turned the computer off.
    I restarted with the disk in and it restarted with the new user i created before i couldnt get in.
    But it was all new with no files, so i looked on the hard drive and the old user name folder was there with all the files inside. phew
    Thanks so much guys! great help!

Hold the "C" Key on startup to boot the DVD installer. Don't install it just change the password like Rick and Unc explained. It works.

Ask if confused. EDIT Opps... I did not see your last post. Glad you got it.

Thumbs up

Good job. Yell if you have questions.