Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early09)

I purchased a suite of tools DiglloydTools for testing, particularly interested in memory but will use the entire suite. Want to compare my G5 with the iMac. I have also sent an email to X-Plane asking why no 64-bit version for Mac and whether the Windows 64-bit version is actually faster or just "compatible" as they say. k

Still waiting for the key to DiglloydTools. Got an answer from X-Plane:
    X-Plane WILL run on 64 Bit OS's. But the improvement is negligible. That is - I think you're wasting your time a bit (assuming that that's the only reason you're looking at that OS).

Please let me know if you need anything else and I'll be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Randy Witt
    X-Plane, Customer Support
    913-269-0976
    So it is just "compatible", tho I'm sure the Mac version will run faster on the iMac than my G5. Another issue has come up. Da Boss is so enamored with this iMac and its screen real estate that she wants it bad. I think she is going to get what she wants. She just runs Safari, Mail, and Skype. k

.......I think so too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Da boss would like a 2.7 GHz G5 with a BIG screen maybe? With what she uses a computer for that would be a killer setup - except stuck at 10.5. Sounds like you are about to be the proud owner of another iMac.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

She has no interest in my G5. I'm already looking into another iMac. It will be awhile tho. k

Somebody relieve my brain pain. I get it that this iMac has no battery. How is the info that used to be on battery for a startup now retained? On the hard drive I suppose it has to be. Help. k

Quote Originally Posted by K
    ...... I get it that this iMac has no battery. How is the info that used to be on battery for a startup now retained? On the hard drive I suppose it has to be. .....
    That is a good question. I did not know that. I never thought about it.

So, Which new iMac have you got your eyes on. Someone needs to give the 27" Quad Core a spin.

Most are on the HD via preferences, and a few are in the firmware (EFI) such as startup drive.

There is still a small PRAM battery to retain some of the stuff, such as time clock settings. Those are not on the HD...always assumed they are in the firmware, but that's me assuming.

It's the round disk towards the middle:
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Just assisted a customer with two maxed out 27" Quad cores, with 2TB HD and 16GB (......yes 16!) of RAM. Nice.

Gezzz just like that my 3.06 is feeling left behind. Oh not really that far.

Kaye how are the temps on your iMac? I've got 101F on CPU and 128F on the HD via iStat.

I thought the DA was warm but this seems out of line.

Thanks Unc, very interesting. And nothing like a picture to see. yeungfeng, never checked temps, will try iStat and report back. k

OK, I give up. Which version of iStat are you using? There are 3, iStat Menus 2.0, iStat pro 4.9, and iStat 2.0. k

Oh!?! That would be iStatnano 2.2. it's free

Long time getting back because we have our Granddaughter here as well as Casper the dog. Anyway was able to run the iMac for about 2 hours and this is what I get:

Hope this tells you something may be wrong or not with your temps in F. k

Ran across this today
    EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs
    Will have to check ASP. k

According to System Profiler, the Boot ROM Version is up to date and there is no SMC Version update. My iMac is up to date.

I was going thru the Apple Discussions where a link was provided to this and see the link on that website to Apple's Snow Leopard. Anyway the Apple Discussions did not recommend using Startup Mode Selector to switch between 32-bit and 64-bit, only to use it to check that you are still in 32-bit or 64-bit mode.

I put it in the Utilities Folder and in the Dock where I can launch it and check that i am still in 64-bit mode:

It works for that just fine. k

Default Kaye,

How did you get the iStatnano temp image? I can't figure it out.

Attached is what Hardware Monitor reports on my 2.66 iMac it's a 2008. The temps are reported both F/C.

Let's see, I'm on my G5 but the procedure is the same as I recall. I like to get the corner curves:
    1. Hit the caps lock key to get a green light.
    2. Put the arrow cursor on top of the widget.
    3. Single click it.
    4. command-shift-4
    5. That will give you a cursor that you can use to drag across the widget (keep it pretty close to the edges of what you want to capture, or
    5a. After Step 4 hit the space bar and you should get a camera.
    6. Single click
    7. You should have a png file on your desktop.
    8. Quit Dashboard.
    9. Double click the file and look at it in Preview to see how it turned out.

BTW, you can crop out extra space in Preview. k

Anybody, let me know how that screenshot works.

I ran some tests of Hazkell's LCD monitor test images first on my G5 then on the iMac. I was most interested in Response time.
    Looks like my G5 does in fact work out to 14ms. The iMac a little better, 13 or 12ms, somewhere in that area.

I also hooked up a Kill A Watt to the iMac. The iMac when shutdown, cycled between 6 to 7w then back to 0w, meaning sometimes 6 to 0 or 7 to 0. Pretty green.

On Startup, 140w max, 125w mostly, 105w after settling down at the Desktop. k

Question System Profiler says my Boot ROM Version is... and SMC version is...

I don't see a 20" iMac late 2008 on the list.

ASP Says....

Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.29f1