Thread: Ouch! My MacPro kicked the bucket

Default Ouch! My MacPro kicked the bucket

Hello,
    I have a first generation MacPro 2.66; 5GB of RAM, running Tiger on one drive, Snow Leopard on another.

It had recently started acting up, pausing and becoming unresponsive for a few seconds then moving on. Which in turn grew progressively worse, very quickly. Some kernel panics and some odd artifacts showing up on the monitor, resulting in an unresponsive system and the spinning beach ball.

I have 4 drives in this monster, two with the above mentioned systems and two for storage. I tried any number of different configurations, with each hard drive and getting the same problem every time. I can no longer start up as it stalls before it gets to any kind of screen and I can't even get past the initial chime with the system CD.

Does any of this sound familiar and does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks for any kind words.
    -Vincent

I myself went from a G4 to an Intel iMac so I never really messed in a G5 much. Read these 2 Apple documents. Try it. At this point it can't hurt.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812?viewlocale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

opps.... After thinking more.... if 2.66GHz is an Intel not a G5 What computer exactly?
    Last edited by rwm; 06-22-2010 at 02:30 PM.

I would pull all the drives, and pull down to the original RAM. Do an SMU reset. Then try and boot to the OSX installer DVD.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rick said what I meant.. thanks rick, Sorry if my quick post confused you.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I recently had an Intel mini that was showing ALL the signs of a dying hard drive.... Data gone, install failed, format failed, drive appearing and disappearing. After switching out the drive for a known good one the newer one showed all the same symptoms!! Also the system software install gave me a rather vague error that made me think the DVD drive was also failing which is when I got suspicious.... Turns out it was bad ram. Both hard drives are now testing good (7 pass security erase no issues on either) and no issues with the DVD drive either

Lesson learned... bad ram can make you think ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is failing.
    Damien,

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the answers.

I did the RAM swap thing and Hard Drive swap also and it still persisted until I pulled the video card. It seems the video card is the problem. I removed it, started up and was able to do some limited functions and shut down using the key shortcut with no problem.

My problem now is knowing what cards are compatible with my machine. The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 is $550.00 and while I will pay if I have to, I'd like to check my options before forking that amount over.

Does anyone have any ideas what cards would be compatible with the first generation Mac Pros?
    Thanks again.
    -Vincent

Thumbs up 8800gt

http://www.macproonline.com/Mac-Pro-...-p8426635.html

Cheaper than that and much faster too.

Quote Originally Posted by VTA View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the answers.

I did the RAM swap thing and Hard Drive swap also and it still persisted until I pulled the video card. It seems the video card is the problem. I removed it, started up and was able to do some limited functions and shut down using the key shortcut with no problem.

My problem now is knowing what cards are compatible with my machine. The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 is $550.00 and while I will pay if I have to, I'd like to check my options before forking that amount over.

Does anyone have any ideas what cards would be compatible with the first generation Mac Pros?
    Thanks again.
    -Vincent
    Quad G5, 4G, 7800 GT, Raptor 74G boot, Maxtor 250G factory storage, LG DVD-RW DL 16X

Quote Originally Posted by sauria View Post
    http://www.macproonline.com/Mac-Pro-...-p8426635.html

Cheaper than that and much faster too.
    Thanks sauria.
    Tonight is the first time in 2 weeks I'm on my home machine. As a matter of fact, I did buy from MacPro online, only I bought the ATI X1900, instead. Just booted up and everything seems to be running fine.

Thumbs up Cool

Let us know how it works. nice buy

7300GT can be fixed under a warranty extension program or you can replace the blown capacitor yourself,

Thumbs up Good

Quote Originally Posted by VTA View Post
    Thanks sauria.
    Tonight is the first time in 2 weeks I'm on my home machine. As a matter of fact, I did buy from MacPro online, only I bought the ATI X1900, instead. Just booted up and everything seems to be running fine.
    Good news!
    Quad G5, 4G, 7800 GT, Raptor 74G boot, Maxtor 250G factory storage, LG DVD-RW DL 16X

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Let us know how it works. nice buy
    Thanks. So far so good, I can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentree_uk View Post
    7300GT can be fixed under a warranty extension program or you can replace the blown capacitor yourself,
    I think the issue was the RAM. Before it completely dropped, I checked it out in system profiler and it showed up as having 0 RAM. I don't know anything about fixing video cards at his point, I can't even tell where the RAM is on it.