Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early09)

Default Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early09)

Friday, November 27, 2009, after seeing the very small Black Friday discounts on iMacs, about $101 as I recall, I looked at the Apple Refurbs.

Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early 2009)
    Introduction Date: March 3, 2009
    Discontinued Date: October 20, 2009

Apple Refurb Price:
    $1349 (save $850, 38% off + CA tax = $1460.29)
    Original new price $2199
    Apple charges me CA tax of 8.25% which adds to the price. Shipping of course free. But sometimes Apple leaves hardware/software not part of the Refurb price which can be very nice.

After checking with DaBoss, I went back to the Apple Refurb site and it was gone and still gone today, Monday. Anyway Saturday I did a Google search and found a new one at PCConnection/MacConnection for $1499, exact same specs and Apple software:
    PC Connection - iMac 24" 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 1TB HD SuperDrive NVIDIA GeForce GT 130
    I added a number of extras:
    Product Description
    iMac 24" 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 1TB HD SuperDrive NVIDIA GeForce GT 130
Mfr: Apple Computer
Item#: 9488217
Mfg. Part #: MB420LL/A $1,499.00
    $1,668.00 w/3-Year AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac ($169)

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Item#: 9150814
Mfg. Part #: MB570Z/A $29.00

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Item#: 9150822
Mfg. Part #: MB572Z/A $29.00

Fusion 3 for Mac (FREE with purchase of any Apple CPU)
Mfr: VMware, Inc.
Item#: 10627608
Mfg. Part #: FUS3-ENG-M-CP $69.95

HP Photosmart C4680 All-in-One Printer
Mfr: HP/Compaq
Item#: 9658925
Mfg. Part #: Q8418A#ABA $99.95

USB 2.0 Printer Cable, Type A to Type B, 6ft
Mfr: HP/Compaq
Item#: 7779424
Mfg. Part #: Q6264A $16.95

Subtotal: $1,912.85
    Shipping & Handling: Best Way - Ground $1.75
    Tax: $.00
    Total: $1,914.60

Several of these items have rebates but have to be applied for, I'm estimating about $300. All ships today.
    Also ordered MAC OS X 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD RETAIL-INT for $33.00 including shipping and will order the 8MB memory from MacGurus store (two 4GB SO-DIMM modules). k

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, positive and negative, from switching over from a tower to an iMac for a bunch of the stuff you do. I get asked that type of question a lot: "can I do what I want to do with an iMac?" Can't wait to hear another opinion on how to answer that question. Plus can point them at this post!

Have fun. Let me know if you need anything.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, positive and negative, from switching over from a tower to an iMac for a bunch of the stuff you do.
    Me too, my iMac seems to have power but I really don't use/test or spin the tires much. Be really interesting how it feels to you Kaye.

I miss having 2 hard drives but I do have FW.

They had one a couple of days earlier. I really wanted to jump on that one. . . but then you do have to pay for it too. It went away and I thought duh, I should've jumped. Then two days later another one came along, it was gone that day, maybe was there for 10 hours.

Seemed like the sweetest deal on a great computer.

Still drooling a little.

I think you are going to really like it.

HD is the only real limitiation......only one, and not for mere mortals to replace/upgrade. If only they would make the HD accessible through a door or something......these things would be close to perfect for the price.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Rick, I will need stuff but have not yet decided what yet, but like Randy a FW800 case and drive. Think I have a couple of your 1TB Seagate drives, have to look. May also have one of your FW800 cases too, the one you can stand on. Curious what brand drive is installed in the iMac, 1TB what? And I will want the RAM upgrade 2 4MB sticks to 8MB after testing with 4MB. Will let you know.

Unc, I too wish the HD was easier to get to but hopefully 3 yr. AppleCare will keep me safe. The wife's iBook, that HD takes a beating because of the need for virtual memory. Still going strong, knock wood. k

Kaye,

What will you do with the 2 - 2GB RAM sticks? Want to trade Apple RAM? I have 2 - 1 GB sticks. and what.... LOL Mine runs at 800MHz DDR2 and yours is 1066MHz DDR3 it was a fun thought while I was thinking about it.

I have seen my Activity Monitor say I am using .... 1.5+ GB RAM so bumping my 2GB up some might be worth it - but is not a priority now.

Kaye, Good luck and enjoy. Also please post comments back.

Good Golly, I pulled the trigger. Thought it would never happen. There they were again just sitting there, online, refurbished. The exact same model as before. You just don't get that much off on any of the other Macs in the lineup.

Now what to do with a 1.6 Giga Design CPU.

Talking

yeungfeng!, if you really want to sell the GIGA 1.6 .... I'm buying ... for REALL!
    Send me an eMail and we'll sort it out!

thanks, h

My iMac is scheduled to arrive Dec. 7. Just hope it is not a day that will live in infamy (1941). Coming in 3 separate shipments. k

Looks like I have to wait on Apple, order says 12/8-14. All the other stuff in several packages via DSL, UPS, and Fed Ex. should get here 12/7. Gosh I agree with you Kaye.

My 3 packages arrived last night. The driver and his assistant put the packages in the garage. Later I moved them into the house because the temperature was supposed to get down to below freezing and it did get down to 27F. Today I need to open up and inventory the contents. Then I gotta apply for the rebates after I get the machine and contents running to be sure that everything works. Anyway I have a full day with Casper the dog too and he does not like me to ignore him. Will see how much I get done. k

We call it frost up here. It does look a little out of place. Damn Kaye those photos use all 20 inches of my screen.

Casper doesn't look happy about the frozen chew toy.

Very cold down here (by Cen Cal standards), about 23F was the low this morning. No snow. Yet.

So.....how about that iMac?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Casper doesn't seem to mind..
    Damien,

I'll bet Kaye is up tp his eyeballs in iMac. I know I have been. My biggest beef so far is that the new smaller keyboard is too small. I make many errors typing. If there had been an option for the refurbished iMac to get a larger one I would have. I've got an extra one, fortunately. I like the numbers on the right, it's just easier for me.

10.6.2 is a bit of a pain to transfer to at least from Tiger. Adobe Reader doesn't work anymore. Found another PDF app called Skim and it works just fine thank you. Even better because you can type into a PDF form. Lots of noise about Reader not working on Adobe's web site.

It would be nice to customize the transfer via migration assistant.

I had the flashing white line across the screen when I first started it up. That was fixed after upgrading 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. I was under the impression that was only on the 27" models. But I was wrong.

On a side note, the Burly Box has FW800, Ricks. I hadn't really looked at it. Already have my first backup done. Next thing is to rearrange my desk. The 24" iMac is really big.

Damn, wish I had a new Mac to play with. Spent all my money on a bike, and it's been too damn cold to play with it much lately. Even too cold to spend time in the garage with the other bike I'm fixing for a friend. Maybe when I get that done I'll be able to get a new Mac to play with.

Let's see, where am I? Spent yesterday getting familiar once again with 10.6, then 10.6.1, finally 10.6.2. Did not have the flashing white line across the screen at any point. I am used to the small keyboard because it is about the same size as the iBook G4. Will try Adobe Reader today.

Spent most of my time getting Geekbench, Power Fractal, Disk Warrior, Cinebench R10, Drive Genius 2.2, and SuperDuper installed. I have more to go.

Took a number of screenshots, here is Geekbench (32-bit), pretty good:

Can't run 64-bit unless I purchase the application. More to follow. k

This is what the weather looked like on the morning of Dec 7 at my house.
    Front looking up hill:

Neighbor's roof and foothills:

My back porch, hot tub, and yard:

Casper:

k

To think you made fun of me when I moved to Idaho. I always say that California has no weather. looks like I was wrong. You do have a few hours of weather every few years.

Bet the freeways were a LOT of fun that day

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin