Thread: Scoobie Doo, where are you?

Default Scoobie Doo, where are you?

"Looks like we have a mystery on our hands!"

Setting up 10.4 on an G4 867 QS. At one point it had two drives in it. Did a clean install on a newer Seagate ATA drive, and later pulled the second, which was a WD.

Here's the mystery: A ghost hard drive!

The WD drive still mounts when I reboot the box, and is fully usable. Even though the hard drive is not in the machine. At first I thought I was seeing a second partition on the Seagate. But inspecting Disk Utility......it shows two separate HDs, each with one volume. The WD is red, and has a SMART warning. I can mount and unmount it, and it always mounts after a reboot.

I can see it in /volumes/ much like an external.

To be clear, this G4 has exactly one HD on the native ATA bus, with nothing else plugged in internally or externally.

Curious if there was something wonky with partitioning, I used CCC to do a file level copy to a different Seagate HD that was freshly initialized. Pulled the first one, and dropped the second with the cloned OS in. The ghost HD is still there, still claiming to be a failing WD! I can still navigate the ghost HD, and copy files to it.

Anybody have a some chicken bones or holy water?
    Last edited by unclemac; 11-26-2009 at 08:13 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

The ghost WD drive shows as being connected to as an ATA slave. Get this.....TechTool is currently repairing it!

Repairing what??

Oh, and I ran Applejack, deleted caches and other routine maintenance. No change. It shows in Safe Boot to.

Almost like a disk image......except I don't think it is. The ghost HD has 4.4GB of data on it (it is a 90something GB drive), and the boot drive only has about 8GB on it. Ran Omni Disksweeper, thinking I could find the ghost WD volume hiding somewhere, but did not find a thing out of line or hiding on the boot drive.

What the hell?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I'll have whatever the G4 is having.

I've seen ghost volumes on SCSI with incorrect termination/ID#s, but never on an ATA bus. I'm thinking it's gotta be something with the current drive. Do you have another you can swap in to see if scares the ghost away?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Did you check the optical/zip bays? Maybe there is a HD in there...

Is there a disk image set to automount?

Have you reset the NVram and/or used the cuda switch?
    Damien,

Yep was my first idea as well maybe someone installed a HD in the Zip or 2nd optical drive bay.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default Ding ding!!

We have a winner:

Zip Bay!

Well, that was too easy. Honestly, I did not look there, cause I have never added an HD in a zip bay before. For some reason, I thought a HD would not quite fit.....

Silly huh?

The other thing that threw me was the SMART errors, and some strangeness with how the ghost drive we behaving. Turns out it was just a failing drive.

Thanks for the ideas!