Thread: Toss DVI to ADC Adapter?

Question Toss DVI to ADC Adapter?

Hello there, I found a box in my closet and think it may be obsolete but want to check. I have a G5 Dual 2 Gh running 10.4.11.

I have a Mac Cinema Display monitor for it which I purchased separately, from a friend.

Either my friend gave me a DVI to ADC Adapter, or I was advised by someone else to purchase it. I have never used it; can I toss it?

At times, this monitor goes all purple lines on me, making visibility impossible. Is that a separate issue or does it have something to do with the adapter?

Thank you.

If it is still working.....you might sell it for a few bucks. One of these?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

The Adapter Matt linked is for an ADC monitor connected to a DVI port on the graphics card. One of the important things it does is provide an external power source for an ADC monitor. They're not a cheap accessory, so might be better to sell it for if you don't have an ADC monitor.

There's another short cable which is for a DVI monitor to connect to an ADC port on the graphics card. If it's one of these, you might want to keep *if* your graphics card has an ADC port on it. This will give much more flexibility with monitors -- even a second one. If your graphics card has no ADC ports on it, then this could be sold off as well for a few bucks.

Great, thanks. Yes, there is the shorter cable in the box, as you said.

Three questions:

1. How do I tell if my Cinema Display monitor is an ADC monitor or a DVI monitor?
    2. How do I tell if my graphics card has an ADC port on it?
    3. Might any of these hardware parts impact the fact that my monitor goes all purple lines wonky on me?

Unhappy

Don't know if this helps ya, but I'm using a Sony monitor (#2) that has blue lines horizontally every one inch across the screen.

I never shut it off, because when I leave it over night and cools down .... then booted the next day ... the screen is a funky greenish black, then both left and right sides meld-into the center for one BIG MESS! Can't really explain what it looks like.
    Then the blue horizontal lines do their thing.

I sent it in for warranty service ..... was good for about a year .... then started the same old crap-ola.

I hooked up another brand monitor and NO lines!
    The card is good.
    Conclusion: bad monitor (second Sony thats gone bad .... no more Sony thank-you)

The first Sony monitor was very expensive and started blinking, turning pink, then blue about two weeks after the warranty deadline.
    That one went to the dumpster.

Sony customer service is another BIG JOKE .... on us!

Think I'll stick to less expensive brands .... they seem to last just as long at half the expense and look just as good!
    I use monitors that have color correction .... needed for photographs and graphics.

Looks to me that your monitor is the source of you problems ..... but all I have to offer is my bad experience ...

Do you have or can you get a second monitor to try?

good-luck, h

Hmm. Good to know, thank you, that Sony monitors are bunk. Mine is a Mac Cinema Display biggie.

Does anyone else out there know how I can tell:

1. If my Cinema Display monitor is an ADC monitor or a DVI monitor?
    2. How I tell if my graphics card has an ADC port on it?
    3. If any of these hardware parts impact the fact that my monitor goes all purple lines wonky on me now and again?

ADC connectors are proprietary Apple things. Round at both ends, and look like this:

DVI is a generic standard, about the same size but with angular ends (rectangle with two corners sort of beveled off) and look like this:

Apple gave up an ADC after several years, and had only DVI and mini DVI for a while, and has now moved on to mini DisplayPort. Pretty sure the early Cinema displays (plastic frame, not aluminum) are all ADC. Pretty sure the aluminum frame displays are all DVI.

As for the colors or lines, hard to tell if it is the monitor or card. Best way is to move one or the other, and see if the problem follows the card or the monitor. Hard to do with ADC.....unless you have a second machine or know someone who does.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin