Thread: Macpro dusty heatsink

Default Macpro dusty heatsink

I'm starting to hear the fan on my 2006 macpro, took the side off today and did a little cleaning only, I couldn't find a way to the heatsink and fan, does anyone know of any pictorial guides or videos that show how to get in and out.

Thanks

Not at my finger tips. Be careful around the PS. It should be clear of dust, debris, cob webs and such to cool. Start with this Apple page.

I've taken a few MacPros apart, and put em together. Easier than a G5, but still made for not pulling heatsinks and the like unless you are pretty adventurous..

However, usually you can haul a MacPro or any other Mac out and blow em out with compressed air. I use a shop compressor and let er have it. However, you gotta be really careful that the fans don't get spun up, you can burn em spinning them at RPMs never designed to run. So hold them from spinning if you use high pressure air.

There are some good guides to pulling these machines apart. Usually an intrepid soul who doesn't mind figuring it out as he goes and bending the odd part as he gets a hang of it. You can search out pretty good guides online.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the Apple page only, the manuals are very basic but did keep a couple.

Actually Ricks, I wasn't looking to pull out the heat sink Just clean the bloody thing. When it comes to my macpro being intrepid goes right out the door, it becomes "show me the way" time.

Anyway "all the best" and thanks for responding

Well after 2 days of trying to find a video of how to get to the fans and heat sink I found one only, it's in German and I don't speak German but on a positive note as Rod Stewart sang "every picture tells a story" and I was able to follow what they were showing. On the negative side one of the screws that support the piece between the right fan and the heatsink and the column it screws into just kept on $#$*%% turning and I was not able to accomplish my cleaning and I'm kinda P------d anyway here is the site address if anyone else would like it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&h...&v=xOF435jCg8E