Thread: Dead HD

Default Dead HD

Okay, so one of my backup HDs ( ) died -- uh, basically, it got dropped during a move, and it is out of warranty.

Before I toss it in the garbage, is there anything else I can try to revive it? When I put it in the Burly, I just get some clicking sounds, it doesn't mount, and Disk Utility doesn't see it either.

I'm thinking it's a goner and should pitch it. Anything else to try first before I give up on it?

Also, found a previous thread here about disabling HDs before pitching them, so no problems there

I've had this post up on my desktop for the last 4 hours. Still haven't thought of anything useful to say. Sorry to say that if the drive took a big enough shock to damage it there is nothing I can think of that would ameliorate that.

I cannot think of a single thing to try even. Maybe someone else will have a thought.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well, it's my fault that the drive got dropped -- and I sure do appreciate you spending some time trying to think of something.

Sometimes you Gurus have suggestions and tips that I would've never thought of, so, as they say, I figured it was at least worth an ask.

Looks like this one is unceremoniously headed towards the rubbish bin. And if I'd only dropped the thing in May instead of November, it would've been under warranty Oh well......

Nothing here either. When this happens......SOL every time in my experience.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

There are companies out there that will move the platters to a new drive, but they run anywhere from $1500 to $5000 or more depending on the company and the drive.

It all boils down to what you have on it and how important it is.

I've got a dead drive with $70,000 in music on it and I'm not willing to part with $1500 to put it in someone else's hands.

Your data may be different though.
    I'm reminded of the immortal Socrates who said......."I drank WHAT?????"