Thread: Looking for basic image editing software

Default Looking for basic image editing software

Hello All,

I'm absolutely a beginner when it comes to image manipulation, so I don't need anything fancy.....

I'm looking for a basic image editor that will:

a) allow incremental rotation (i.e., not just the 'rotate 90 degrees variety)
    b) will run under 10.4.11
    c) will do circular crops (i.e., round crops, not just square).

I have a lot of images of record labels (i.e. from 45 and 78 rpm records), and I want to be able to do circular crops (because they look better, IMHO).

I did a google for 'Mac Image Editing Software,' but I'm not sure I want to download and bunch of trial versions of software before I know what I'm getting into.

I just tried ImageWell the other day, and it will do a) and b), but not c).

Any suggestions anyone might have, I would be most grateful. Oh, and did I mention that if possible I'd prefer not to have spend a fortune, if possible.

Again, my thanks

I'll start.

Photoshop Elements? If you can find an older version for 10.4. Back a few years ago, it even shipped in a light version with some scanners.

Probably a longer learning curve, but for free there is always Gimp too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello,

GIMP for Mac http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Best part it is free.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Lightbulb

I'd get on eBay and do a search for Mac/Abobe Photoshop Elements software.

I was somewhat "sick to my stomach" when I first used it ..... why? .... because I had just spent about S1000.00 the year before on the "flagship version" .... but soon discovered that about 90% of the apps .... where missing.

I think this would be right-up-your-alley .... if you can find an old version!
    Hell, they were only selling for something $100.00 new, that was in 2002.

Keep searching you'll eventually find it .... but beware "PS is addicting!".

good luck, h

Default Thanks

I appreciate the suggestions --

So, I took a look at GIMP -- uhm, yeah, the user interface is kind of awkward, but it does look like it has a lot of features, and hell, you can't beat free. That's for sure.

I easily found some older copies (circa vsn 6) of Photoshop Elements on ebay -- looks like it will run on my PPC 10.4.11 Mac just fine.

I had an O-L-D (i.e., OS 9 days) vsn of PSE, but I could never figure out how the durn thing worked (I found the user interface more than awkward, personally-- but that's just me). Still got it on my HD, but last time I tried to boot it up, I got some kind of error msg -- I guess it didn't want to run in the 'Classic Environment' -- and the same exact thing happened to my OS9 vsn of Pagemaker too -- guess I'm really dating myself here with all this antediluvian software, eh?

Anyway, in the meantime, I've found that Pixelmator will also do all the things I want/need, but that's $50 -- if I can get PSE vsn 6 for any less than that on ebay, it looks like I'm good to go.

As usual, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Yes..Photoshop Elements has all the property you are looking for..Try surfing oline there are trial versions if you want. For sure you kinda like it.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Graphic Converter may already be on your Mac. Check it out
    Damien,

I use GIMP on my Linux box.
    It took a little bit to get used to the UI but I like it. I'm still a hardcore Photoshop guy, but the more I play around with GIMP, the more I like it.
    I'm reminded of the immortal Socrates who said......."I drank WHAT?????"