Thread: iMac fan problem

Default iMac fan problem

I have a silver iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz; with 300 GB HD(166 GB available); 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Running OS X.5.8 and snow leopard waiting to be installed. Previously I had taken in my mac because the fan wouldn't shut off and when it came back it wouldn't run. I did the hardware test and error code told repair techie it was broken fan. It was replaced and came home just to find out it wasn't operating at all. By this time the warranty period expired. I have started up fans by unplugging and pressing power button before plugging back in. Or run a fan in the back of the machine. Is this a common problem or is there a troubleshooting tip. Oh btw it is operating via airport. Should I wait to install snow leopard? Thanks a lot and await any reply.
    posecap

I think I would take it back, and explain that since the original problem was never solved it's still a warranty issue. If they balk just start taking it up the chain until you find someone who will take care of the problem.

Be polite, but firm.

You WILL get a positive yes answer if you stick with your guns. Make them fix it right for keeps.

Kindness works well. No need to get exercised over one person not able to help, just ask for their supervisor on up till you get a satisfactory yes.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Agreed. There is a warranty period for repair work. Be firm about the fact that the fan(s) never worked right.

Imacs are poorly vented, so the fan(s) are critical. You will likely over heat the machine, possibly causing catastrophic damage if you run it without proper cooling.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

definitely need fans working. I'd say the fan cable could be snagged on a screw. service provider will repair for free I'm sure.

Default Thanks all

Thank you so much for the advice; I will contact repair shop.
    posecap

Default all good

Yes I went to Apple with this issue and they gave me a new logic board at no cost. I'm very happy with results and enjoying snow Leopard on my iMac with no more problems. Thanks all who had advice.
    posecap

Very cool. I have the same machine. Wished I'd went for the 24"er now. But it has been great.

Great! Thanks for the wrap up. Always like to know how the story ends.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin