Thread: ibook g3 / no Target Mode

Default ibook g3 / no Target Mode

I inherited an iBook G3 800mhz 14" that boots to the famous Flashing ? folder. so, I'm assuming that the hard drive is fubar.......however, when you try to boot to target mode, the machine chimes and the screen remains blank ! Additionally, I tried booting from the disc drive ( i put the OS disc in the dvd rom and held down the "C" key when starting).....it started the spinning circle thing but then a large circle with a slash appeared on the screen......I'm thinking my mystery iBook may be completely missing it's hard drive.....I've not run into this before. any suggestions?
    Last edited by briardguy; 11-02-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added text

"?" It's looking for a system to boot from. I just don't use TDM often enough. See if these 2 Apple doc's help. They look helpful.
    How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode and An Apple search

Post back if those ideas don't help. If you are doing everything right then it must be a hardware/software issue. I think your iBook computer and OS lets you hold the option key on boot. This should display all bootable systems to choose from?
    Last edited by rwm; 11-03-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: clarify

It could also be that the HD is FUBAR'd to the point where it's causing problems for the optical or that it is FUBAR'd as well.

I assume you have already tried OF, and PMU resets.

TDM is not related to the HD......all in the firmware. A properly working Mac will boot TDM with no hard drive installed. Maybe try plugging a FW cable anyway, just to confirm that it is not a video issue......maybe TDM is working OK. Some of the older machines can be a little flaky at times.

The circle with a slash usually indicates the disk has seen by the system, but can't boot the machine. Wrong media for this particular Mac.

Have you tried option booting, just to see what it does?

You might try an open firmware reset too. Can't hurt.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default and more....

as always, thx everyone...i learn so much here.....

fyi- again, if i just boot it normally, the flashing folder comes up...when i attempt to put the ibook in tdm mode, it boots to a blank screen again, so, not a video issue (i hope) ...my other macs do not see it when the fw cable is connected ..... as far as the circle with the slash at boot from disk..... it is definately the right media and i've tried booting from a 10.2 cd and a 10.4 dvd ( it has a combo drive)

i have not tried the OF reset or the PMU reset, don't know how....anyone want to walk me thru it?

if HDD is badly broken it can stop Target mode from working. I hope you have a backup..

Default more

ok, i did the OF / NVRAM rest, no change. i wanted to try the PMU reset but can't find any threads here on how to do it.......anyone ?

one additional note- when i try to boot in target mode, i'm not entirely sure it's a blank screen ! i now believe it isn't starting at all when the T key is pressed during power on. the chime happens but if i wait for about 30 seconds... nothing..... if i keep pressing the T key and hit the power button again, it chimes again ! if i let go of the T key, it chimes again and goes to the flashing folder.......

No hard drive - no Target mode.

Target mode turns your computer into a Firewire drive. If there is nothing there for it to mount it cannot go into Target mode.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

ok- that makes too much sence.......i kind of thought so....... well, now i get to take this baby apart.....at least i'm getting good at it !!!

thanks everyone !

From Apple's site Resetting Cuda/PMU in case you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    No hard drive - no Target mode.

Target mode turns your computer into a Firewire drive. If there is nothing there for it to mount it cannot go into Target mode.
    Rick

That has not been my experience, but it may vary by machine (firmware) or the state of the drive.......being heavily damaged, etc.

Long story short, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

PMU reset varies by model somewhat.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default more info....

well, i cracked the machine open and sure enough, someone had removed the hard drive ! so, this big question was answered concerning no target mode. This is the 16th or 17th iBook i have repaired ( HD, dc-in board,CD-rom etc) and out of those all but one worked.....until now.......

I got it all put back together with a new hard drive and now it won't turn on at all !!! I haven't a clue what happened. I don't think i missed anything because I work off of a checklist..... obviously, I'm cracking this thing open again ( not today tho)..... anyone want to venture a guess as to what went wrong ???

Wow, that is a tough one.

Good on you to be fixing iBooks. So many "retire" them, because they are not up to the challenge.

Anyway, all I can add is, check everything. Any chance you missed a cable or plug anywhere? No power at all......would mean check everything around the PS area.

ya, i've learned alot fixing these things and actually enjoy it most of the time..... this one has me miffed. the ac charger shows that the battery is charging but again, it just doesn't fire up. so, other than the fact that they are a pain to take apart, they are relatively simple to work on.....

if anyone else reads this and has any suggestions....... let me know......i'm open to all suggestions before opening it up again.....

thx

have you tried the ctrl, fn, shift and power reset? perhaps you forgot to plug in the power switch? I've done this! or maybe the power connector has come off the board. just a few suggestions.

Default good ideas...help

thx. iwasn't in the bottom of this unit so, i know the dc-in board is still attached..... the power switch getting plugged back in is a possibility, i know i attempted tp plug it in but........ya never know........

also, i've never used the "ctrl, fn, shift and power reset" ....just exactly what do i do?