Thread: Pull Out MBP Optical Replace With HD for RAID 0?

Default Pull Out MBP Optical Replace With HD for RAID 0?

I have a late 2008 15" unibody MBP (2.8GHz) with a 320@72 and a 48GB ExpressCard SSD. I use the SSD as the boot volume, and it seems a bunch faster than the HDD. I almost never use my optical drive and my laptop's data is backed up whenever I'm on network. Does anyone know if I can remove the optical drive and put in another HDD for a RAID? I assume since they're both SATA the answer is yes, but I'd have to figure out how to mount it mount it. Ideas?

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Wow, that is AWESOME. Thanks!

Cool That's really cool

I agree it's never seen that. Thanks, Unc

Yeah. I'm torn. Right now I am really enjoying using the expresscard as the startup and application volume, and I am debating whether it makes sense to put in another matching Hitachi 7200 320GB drive and RAID 0 it for documents or do something else. I really like the seek times of SSDs, but getting a pair of SSDs would be really expensive. My documents aren't that huge on the road, but I still find I wait on the drive. Hmmmmmm....

Ok, so I'm going to do it. I'm going to put in a 500GB Segate 7200 and pair that with the Hitachi 320 7200 I already have in RAID 0 with SoftRAID. I know I should balance the drives, but this way I'll have another volume available I can use for Windows boot camp in case that proves useful. I backup regularly, so I'm not too worried about the increased risk from the stripe. I'll keep the ExpressCard SSD as a backup and am trying to think the best move for that. Ultimately I think the RAID 0 between these two drives will outperform the SSD (certainly in sustained activities). Thanks!