Thread: Pbook !7" Hard drive replacement.

Default Pbook !7" Hard drive replacement.

My 17" 1gig Powerbook now refuses to boot (stuck at grey screen with apple icon) and screaming noises from Hard Drive.
    I am assuming I need a new hard drive.
    When I connect my firewire HD back-up and try to boot from it, it doesn't recognise any of my known passwords and therefore won't let me log in.(?)
    I can access the FW drive from another (Intel) mac, is there a way to reset the password or delete a file this way allowing me to log on to this disc when booted from it?
    The 17" Pbook also has a faulty optical drive, so when I replace the internal hard drive I won't be able to re-install from the original discs and will need to clone from the FW HD.
    I know I could replace the optical drive, but am trying to avoid the extra expense till I know the hard drive replacement has solved the main problem.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Hello

Check this Apple DIY search. Hang in here. We'll sure try and help ya.
    OF reset...

Well, the easy way to reset the PW is to boot to your OS X installer disk, and run the password reset tool. But that assumes you have a working optical drive.

If you have another Mac handy with a working optical drive, you can try this:

1. Insert your installer disk, then hold restart and hold down the T key to boot it into target disk mode.

2. Connect to your PB via FW, and you should see the installer media, as though you have an external optical drive.

....pretty sure this works, though it has been a while since I have tried it. Don't know what to expect between a PPC and Intel Mac. Try it and see?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the replies.
    This 3rd party optical drive via target mode could be part of the solution.
    The thing is that the password issue is with my ext FW back-up hd.
    I access this drive from my intel mac and in users can see the 2 admin accounts as expected, but when I try to boot from this drive on the Pbook I get a log in window with no names pre-loaded and none of my known password/username combos is accepted?! Weird.
    If I can't solve this issue I can maybe install the OS to the replacement internal drive using Uncle Mac's suggestion, or possibly borrow a friend's PB ext FW back-up and clone from that?
    Thanks again for all advice.

Thanks for the replies.
    The difficulty is that the password problem is with the cloned back-up ext FW HD.
    If I access the disk from another (intel) mac, I can see the two admin accounts in the 'users' file but when I try to boot the Pbook from this disk I get a login window with no pre-loaded account name options, and both my username/password combinations are rejected?! Weird.

Unclemac's suggestion of using the optical drive of my intel mac connected in target mode may be the answer, but wouldn't I need to have the Pbook booted from the ext FW HD to reset the password on the cloned system?! Kind of a catch 22 situation it would seem.

Otherwise, I could use the Unclemac solution to install the OS from DVD when I have the new internal Hard drive I guess(?)

Thanks again for all advice.

Sorry for my first fast post - not much help. I was very tired and heading to bed. I also knew Unc is around in the am and he knows the Powerbooks far better than myself. I like towers. But use an iMac now.

What if you created a new user account or would that even help the catch 22. Make another admin user with a different password and login as that new user. Darn optical drive.

Keep posting or updating us as how your doing. We will try to keep giving you ideas.

Oh, OK. If you can see the FW volume while booted to your 2nd Mac, then -- assuming that Mac has a working optical drive -- you can boot to your OS installer media and set/reset the account PW.

Once set, it should work fine (you should be able to log in using the new PW you set) while booted to the volume on your PB.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Damn your good Unc.

You might have a problem with an OS that is installed from a none powerbook. If it won't boot to it, then I don't know how to fix that since the password utility is also on your installer DVDs.

BTW, not sure why, but your posts are getting hung up in the spam queue. Needs moderator approval, and not showing up even in our queue. I caught your older posts and put them up, don't worry that they are semi duplicates, we can keep chugging here.

One other thought, I believe that you can insert the installer DVD in the Intel Mac, boot it to Target Disk Mode by holding down the 'T' key. Then if you connect it to your Powerbook with a Firewire cable you should be able to boot to the installer CD. Try holding the Option key during startup for the POwerbook, see if it can see the Target mounted DVD from the Intel machine.

From there you can use the password utility on the other Firewire drive, or do a reinstall of the OS on the Firewire drive, all connected to the powerbook booted to the DVD in the Intel machine.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for this advice.
    My replacement internal drive should arrive tomorrow. I'll post with news of how I get on. Armed with your advice I'm feeling much more confident!

OK, so while waiting for the new int HD to turn up, I tried out the solution advised: put the install cd in the MabookPro, booted it in Target mode, connected it to the Pbook along with the password-problem ext HD and it all worked! The pbook booted fine from the installer disc in the MBP optical drive, but when I opened the password reset option the ext HD showed no users and password reset options were greyed-out.
    I guess the disc must have got corrupted in some way(?)
    Still, at least now I know how to re-install the OS on the new int HD without the PB optical drive working!

Will post again when I get the new drive up & running (fingers crossed!)
    Thanks again for all your help.

Unhappy

Ok, so I've installed my new internal HD, formatted it to OSX extended using the original cd, then installed osx from the cd.
    Everything working fine EXCEPT when I try to join my airport extreme network it won't accept the password! This is the same password working fine for 2 other macs and 2 iPhones! But just to make sure I use airport utility to reset the password - still no joy. Then I went through upgrade installs through Panther, Tiger each time everything fine EXCEPT airport password. Last upgrade to Leopard carried out and now it won't accept my log in password!
    I've been through password reset for user and system root twice to no avail.
    This is driving me nuts!
    I noticed an option for firmware password reset - might this help?
    I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions as my next stop could be a shrink or an exorcist!

Then I went through upgrade installs through Panther, Tiger each time everything fine EXCEPT airport password. Last upgrade to Leopard carried out and now it won't accept my log in password!
    I've been through password reset for user and system root twice to no avail.
    No need to install each OS. Just install Leopard 10.5 and use Apples 10.5.8 combo update.

Hold off on the firmware update unless someone else says it's OK to do. Let me check further.

mobile

Take a look here it's a powerbook firmware search from Apple see if there is anything similar that might help.

Exactly which PBook and firmware revision do you have? Check your system profiler for it. apps/utilities/system profiler

I was referring to an option in the utilities menu on the Leopard install disc for firmware password -I tried this and it's not really relevant to my problem, it just requires a password to be entered before you can start the computer from another drive (as an extra security measure).
    But thanks for your reply - I am currently doing an erase & install of 10.5.

I was a bit tired after performing open heart surgery on the Pbook and wasn't paying sufficient attention to the software installation procedure. Hopefully the fresh install will cure the spooky password issues.

Thanks again to all you guys for your help & patience - it's very much appreciated!

Pre Leopard 10.5.x, the user (and password) info was stored in the NetInfo Database. If you booted into single user mode, you could move the current db, and thereby start the user creation procedure again. That is, the "Welcome to...." screens, where you create the first user.

Post Leopard, I don't know how that done. The instructions are still in a kbase article, which references Leopard:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2600

It's part I and III that would be appropriate. But in Part III, steps 2 and 3 wouldn't apply. The only that would apply in Leopard is step 4:
    <tt>rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone </tt>
    I wonder whether in Leopard removing that hidden file would be enough to force a startup into the "Welcome..." screen. For at startup there would no longer be that hidden filing telling the OS, that you're computer has been setup for one user.

The very IMPORTANT thing to remember if you try this is, when recreating the users, create them in the identical order with the identical shortnames. OS X identifies users by numbers and not really by shortname. So if you muck up the order, then some users will gain access to the wrong home folder. Identical shortnames is key so that they match the default home folders.

Thumbs up

Everything cool now. Did the clean install of Leopard, upgraded to the 10.5.8 combo in the link above - thank you.

Only slight issue now is internal mic not showing up in sound prefs.
    Think I'll have to open up again and see if I inadvertently disconnected it.
    Hope I didn't damage the sound ribbon.

Thanks again to all who posted - couldn't have done it without you guys!