Thread: Upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.5.6 and problems with 2 of my 4 displays

Default Upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.5.6 and problems with 2 of my 4 displays

G5 Dual 2Gig with 10.5.6

I have four displays running from the stock 9600XT AGP and a 9200 PCI. These were all working fine in their proper resolution. 3 of the displays run from DVI (1 via Mac connector) with the other running out to VGA.

Just upgraded to 10.5.6 and there seems to be a problem with (any) two of the monitors and not just two from one card - i.e. the problem seems to be one display from each card. When I swap the displays around I get the same problem but on the new monitor.

The problem is that two displays are not recognized and so are given a set or default and wrong resolution. Also the Leopard background pic of the Universe is blue (instead of Black of space).

It can't be a problem with one of the cards as it affects one display from each card and it can't be the displays as when I swap them around the swapped displays get recognized.

I read that 10.5 (upwards) has all the necessary drivers etc etc... so any idea what is wrong??

Thanks

Default Any luck yet?

I read that 10.5 (upwards) has all the necessary drivers etc etc... so any idea what is wrong??
    I am not sure. My first guess would be a driver issue. Which make/model of your monitors. Have you had any further luck?

Software install did this?

Default well....

I reset the PRAM and that seems to have worked - all displays are now up and running and all options available in the Menu Bar.

Yes, this was caused by upgrading to 10.5.6 initially and then using the Combo update to 10.5.8 didn't resolve the issue. I was about to reinstall 10.3.4 when I thought, what the hell... try the PRAM (as some of my Network settings were also being affected).

So it seems to have cured the issue and I am not alone - I have found several people who had the same issue back in May.

I wonder if it will return when I shutdown tonight???

Should not.......PRAM is written out to ROM, and should not be volatile, should survive a reboot.

If you are still fighting it, you can always try an Open Firmware reset too. Does PRAM plus a bit more.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

If your PRAM settings do NOT survive a reboot swap out your motherboard battery
    Damien,

Lightbulb

Yes!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin