Thread: Replaced HD having trouble installing OSX Leapard

Default Replaced HD having trouble installing OSX Leapard

Have iBook G4. Hard drive recently crashed. I replaced HD and upgraded RAM memory from 512mb to 1G. I am trying to reinstall OSX Leapard (Which was on before the HD crashed) and am not having any luck. Every time I put in the install DVD I get a message telling me to "Restart Computer". Any suggestions?

I had Apple replace all our Leopard installer CDs once. They all were incapable of being installed on a MacPro, even though that MacPro was running an OS installed from one of them. I figure it was a firmware update that caused it. Called Apple and they sent me a set of three disks that work in all Macs. Go figure.

Try an Open Firmware reset. Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. At the '>' prompt type:

>reset-nvram
    Hit Return
    >set-defaults
    Hit Return
    >reset-all
    Hit Return and your computer will restart. See if that helps.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yeah, sounds like it does not like the media. Is it a black retail disk?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Install trick...and I mean "trick"

My G4 mini did this when I tried to install Tiger, and Again when I installed Leopard.

Since I wasn't installing to a new blank disc I don't know if this will help, but I went to the Startup Disk preference pane and chose the DVD drive (disc has to be in to do it) as the boot disk. Once I did that and restarted, it would run the installer from the DVD. I basically "tricked" the machine into using the DVD to boot.

Ricks, Uncle Mac, do you guys know if it's possible to get to system preferences and the startup disc pane from the installer? Or is this only good with an OS already installed?
    I'm reminded of the immortal Socrates who said......."I drank WHAT?????"

There is I believe a Startup Disc Preference on the installer, but you only get there once the OS on the DVD/CD loads. Since you're having problems with that, that won't help.

The Startup Disc Preference is really just writing the preference into open firmware. You can do that too if you boot into open firmware. I searched and found someone with the optical command, here; see hoja's post.

Extracting from his post:

1. startup and hold cmd-opt-o-f (the letters 'o' and 'f' as in "Open Firmware") to get to the open firmware prompt.
    2. Type (note the backslash and you've got to get the syntax correct):
    setenv boot-device cd:\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX
    3. Hit 'Return' key.
    4. Type:
    macboot
    5. Hit 'Return' key

Steps 2-3 write the startup preference as the CD (actually the location of the boot loader "BootX" on the CD), as the Startup Disk Preference would in OS X. That's the open firmware way to set booting off the CD/DVD.

If for some reason this causes chaos, then reset the pram, either with the 4-finger startup or via the commands that Rick gave. This will wipe that setting.

------
    On a different track, dirty discs and optical drives can causes these (among a host of other things), so might want to clean if you can. When you panic off the DVD/CD at startup, things getting tricky. There's no log to consult after to see what might be causing the panic.

One trick for startup panics off CD/DVD is this:

1. Startup and hold cmd-v

That starts up the Mac in verbose mode, you get to see on the screen what's typically written to the logs. You might be able to figure out what might be causing the panic based on where it hangs and panics. With panics, you typically see something like "we're panicing here". Sometimes it hangs there so you can write down what you see, or get your camera out and take a picture of the screen.
    I diagnosed a faulty CPU in a dual CPU card this way, as well as Apple Pro Speakers not plugged in fully.