Thread: Changed Short Name In 10.6, Password Rejected

Default Changed Short Name In 10.6, Password Rejected

I made a really dumb mistake i think

My short user name was "nic"
    I wanted it to be a capital. So "Nic"

I'm OCD on things like this >.<"Nic"
    HOWEVER, I left the home directory as /users/nic thinking it wouldn't matter as it was only a case change.

Changing my mind I decided to go back and make it users/Nic
    Only when I go to unlock to make changes my password is not accepted.
    My password isn't accepted on the machine as far as I know.
    I am now too afraid to turn the mini off incase I can't log in!

Any ideas ?

Running 10.6 by the way.

Good news, bad news.

Bad news: It is a real pain to change the short name.

Good news: It has to be lower case (other rules apply too......no spaces, limited characters, etc.). It is a unix thing. So, no need to change it, cause you can't ever be Nic in the short name universe.

Oh, and as for your concern that your PW does not work, that is likely because Apple has tried to protect you from yourself. Starting in 10.5, they added ACLs to certain items in the OS that prevent even an admin account from being able to change or delete certain things. This is by design, and does not mean anything is wrong; it means you need to have more authority than "administrator" level. That means you need to have root access.

It is confusing though, as one would think -- coming from either 10.4 or the Windows world -- that you could do anything (....or almost anything) with admin access.

You can change this, but unless you know what you are doing, or have a specific reason to do it, I would not recommend it. If you want to proceed, we can assist or point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by unclemac; 09-19-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

One thing to consider, if you want to be safe:

In System Preferences/Accounts make a second user and be sure it has admin access. See if you can, using your current credentials.

If so, this will give you a back door to log into, just in case there is some other issue with your account or access. Good to have options.

You can always delete the second account at any point if you don't want to keep it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Firstly can I say thank you for your replies =]
    I really appreciate it. I went to some of the larger mac forums and got minimal or no help.

The thing is I got to System Prefs > Accounts before by using my password by unlocking the lock. Now the lock is locked again and I can't enter my password to make changes in Accounts meaning I can not create a new one or change my short name back to "nic"

Just out of interest I tried to install an application and when it came to ask for my password It would not accept it which makes me think if I log out I wont be able to get back in at all.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense =[
    I really appreciate your time.

No worries. MacGurus is here to help.

OK, you may need to reset your password. A couple questions first.

1. Is your current account an admin account?
    2. Are there other admin accounts already configured?
    3. Did you set this machine up yourself (or was it purchased used with an existing account, etc)?
    4. Do you have your original boot media (CD/DVD install disks)?

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    No worries. MacGurus is here to help.

OK, you may need to reset your password. A couple questions first.

1. Is your current account an admin account?
    2. Are there other admin accounts already configured?
    3. Did you set this machine up yourself (or was it purchased used with an existing account, etc)?
    4. Do you have your original boot media (CD/DVD install disks)?
    Thankyou so much for your time =]
    I really appreciate it.

But the problem is now solved =]
    I had a power outage , would you believe it.
    I nearly had a heart attack.

Turning it back on it accepted my password, my user folder was still lowercase "nic" all seems well. Thankyou for your help

From now on I will come here before anywhere else =]

Thumbs up

Happy to help!