Thread: OSX reinstall question

Default OSX reinstall question

My wife's iBook G3 lost Safari!!!! It's no where to be found. I want to reinstall Safari but not sure how other than to reinstall OSX. If I could get her machine on the internet, I'd download it but since safari is gone....... any suggestions?

also, if I do a complete reinstall of OSX, will all her files like word docs and pictures get erased ???

help please

Default update-

well, i figured out how to install Safari only from my OSX disk....... so, everything is cool..... but, I'd still like to know what happens to files when you do a complete reinstall of OSX ?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Does the iBook have multiple accounts?

If it does and one person moves Safari (or anything else) out of the Applications folder then that app will no longer be available to any one. It will ONLY be available to the person that removed it from the apps folder
    Damien,

no multiple accounts.....it's just me and the mrs and we have separate iBooks.......it's the oddest thing..... i reinstalled Safari and it just quits for no reason.....Firefox runs like a champ but I'm not a big fan......

can anyone answer the complete reinstall question? i want to reinstall the entire OSX disc but afraid of losing her files......

Ah, OK.

You want an Archive and Install.

Always best to backup everything, no matter what. Good excuse to round up a big firewire drive, partition it, and clone both your laptops. Once you have a proper backup, you can breath easy. Those machines are old enough that you are playing russian roulette with hard drive failure! Get your vintage Macs backed up!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default and.......

thanks unclemac-

I have everything to do the cloning with.......I'm also going to clone the machines to new Hard drives while I'm at it ! I have a couple laying around and have external cases for them...... the Mrs. HD is starting to click loudly so as you said...russian roulette time....

can you walk me thru "cloning" our machines ? i've never done it but i'm sure with your help it will be a breeze.....

thanks as always.

Lots of ways (different software), the easiest gernally being CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both free).

Hunt one of those up, and we can walk through it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default update- Russian roulette- chamber had a round !

Unclemac,
    Well. i believe the mrs machine hit a loaded round......the machine takes forever (if at all) to boot...... when it does boot, next to nothing will load.... word, games...not even Safari.....just alot of HD clicking.....I wanted to download the cloning software but since Safari is fubar, no luck. I downlaoded it on my machine and burned it to a cd but her machine is soooooo fubar that it won't load a cd ! .......and to make matters even worse ( if that's possible) .... her machine won't boot to the install cd either !!! just spins in the dvd drive and the HD keeps clicking away.....

i was hoping to boot to the install cd and use disk utility one last time to repair before the HD dies completely..... I think I'm too late...... with all the above things going wrong, I'm hoping it's just the HD..... but not booting to the install cd has me worried...... you don't think the logic board is going too, do you ?

Default Can you replace it?

Sounds like my friends G5 iMac took 2+ hours to boot and then ran super slow. Disk Utility said it repaired the drive - no change still slow. So rather than putting the drive through any more I just pulled it and replaced the drive. Put the old/bad drive into a FW Case and the drive showed/mounted just fine. It just won't boot right.

In the process of getting her data now.

The best thing to do at this point:

1. Leave it off until you are ready to get what you can get.

2. Round up a fire 400 to firewire 400 cable like this one.

3. Once you have the cable, and a second Mac that has a firewire port, you want to boot the problematic Mac in to Target Disk Mode. This will allow the broken Mac to be an external hard drive to the working Mac.

4. If the hard drive mounts (fingers crossed!) get your most important data off as fast as you can. Once drives start to go, it is common that they continue to fail, sometimes quickly.

Yell if you have questions before you dive in.

Nice post Unc.

Trial by elimination ....... my favorite way!

h

thx unclemac..... that's exactly what my next move was going to be...... the mrs was able to get most of her important stuff off and onto her external drive before it stopped booting completely. i ordered a new HD for her and when it gets here i'll install it and do the clone thing using the faulty drive in an external case............if it isn't completely fubar !