Thread: Booting up from peripheral drive

Default Booting up from peripheral drive

I recently acquired a G3 IMAC and would like to boot up from a System X
    Disk located in a Lacie Drive. I'm unable to open the CD drive on the IMAC
    from holding the mouse down or by:

"Hold down the mouse button during starup, that may induce the iMac to spit the disc out.

If that doesn't do the trick, start up in Open Firmware. At the startup chime hold down the four keys Command+Option+O+F until a command-line screen appears. At the prompt type in eject -cd and hit return. If the CD gets ejected, type mac-boot, hit return, and you should be good to go." --from Biggles

Thanks,
    feral

Different answers for different types of drives. Firewire, USB? If a drive is attached you can boot while holding the Option key. That will display a list of every attached OS installation.

If holding the mouse key does not open the door then probably any other trick won't either Might be a dead mechanism.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Different answers for different types of drives. Firewire, USB? If a drive is attached you can boot while holding the Option key. That will display a list of every attached OS installation.

If holding the mouse key does not open the door then probably any other trick won't either Might be a dead mechanism.

Rick
    Thanks, Rick, I was able to re-install system X.

feral