Thread: Sounds from a hard drive. Normal or not. click click

Default Sounds from a hard drive. Normal or not. click click

My Burlinstien has 2 FW Bays a Seagate 7200.7 500GBer and a 120 GB Seagate. The 7200.7 500GB makes a lot of noise but only/mainly reading/writing data. Seems louder recently? A lot of click click click click. It is my primary backup drive. It is backed up to the 120GB. It was a boot drive when new.

How much click click click is to much. Since it is backuped I was thinking of zeroing it out. (I've never zeroed any drive)

The drive has always had some clicks while reading/writing data. I never heard my other Seagates 4 or 5 sound that loud. It a mechanical sound - I think (not as in a bad drive) but just working. It's quiet when idle. Maybe it's just because the iMac's quieter and it sits closer to me things seem louder.

Hard to determine without hearing it, but if you've lost your trust in it it wouldn't hurt to do some preventive/preemptive maintenance.

Loud clicking noises from a drive are not a good sign.

I would add that any changes in sounds from a drive are not good either. I would vote for zeroing it, and hanging out to see if it sounds OK during the process.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Arrow Drive failed DU "Verify Disk" but "Repair Disk" repaired it?

I ran Disk Utilities "Verify Disk" and the Drive failed. So I ran "Repair Disk" and it said it was repaired successfully. I have screen shots. I decided to write zero's anyway. It said about 3 hours and has just over an hour left. If it finishes it will have been about 3 1/2 hours. Looks on schedule.

I have not heard a click click since DU's "Repair Disk" said it was repaired successfully.

Thumbs up Seems better. Is it fixed?

The drive zeroed fine. DU reported everything OK. I used SuperDuper to copy my iMac to it as it is my primary backup and that went fine. I got DiskwWarrior if needed.

Should I assume it's good to go or use another drive as my primary backup.

I'm seriously thinking of getting an IcyDock in September and the 8th is my birthday sounds like a good nuf reason.

Sounds good to me
    Run it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default So far so good

It seems quiet now. Working and booting like normal.