Thread: Intel Xserve pre 2008

Default Intel Xserve pre 2008

Hi Guys, or (Unclemac)
    Need Help Here. Can somebody give me the model number and specs for an Intel Xserve Pre 2008. Need to get an idea for a setup. Thanks in advance. Gerry

This one?

Got a project brewing?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

thanks Uncle,
    Yup, got a major headache. Got a G5 dual 2.7 and according to all information I got that it cant do HD editing using ProRes422. I have a Kona3X installed on the G5 and the Xserve pre 2008 was the last mentioned Mac that can use a pci-X card. Not sure yet but I have been editing HD 1080i 10Bit with FCS2 just fine. Its just ProRes422 is the in thing for editing. Well, very technical for me but just in case. I appreciate you being there this time really quick, I remember that your know tons about servers and stuff. Thanks again -
    Gerry

Hi,
    Got another question. Servers and towers use the same software? What is the difference? Thanks

Yup software is the same. Can run OS 10 Server just fine on a tower, or even a Mini. Sound like you don't need Server OS though.

The xserves are a bit optimized for 24/7 use, and I am pretty sure they have more temp sensors to give a better idea of the machine health.......but other than that are pretty similar to the tower version. Cept the shape.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi,
    Got my last question. What are macpros and Intel Xserve Pre 2008? Are they considered macpros too? Never had chance to upgrade since G5's. Thank you very much. - Gerry