Thread: OSX needs to talk to old SCSI HD

Default OSX needs to talk to old SCSI HD

I had a Performa, but got a new G3 when those came out. The Performa had issues, and after several moves and lugging it around, a friend recommended just popping the hard drive out to access later, and dumping the box. So I did. Now I have this old wide SCSI hard drive that I can't access. Is there a way to hook it up to my G3 with a USB or FireWire adaptor? I just want to grab some files off of it.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Your G3 is a Blue and White one right? Also what OS are you running?

There was a firewire adapter that was supposed to work pretty well. Ratoc was the name and they are NOT cheap. Also they are designed for external devices. They connect to an external cable so assuming you have a bare drive, you would need an external to internal adapter and you would need to get power to the drive. Or a drive case to put it in. More $$ there.

You might be better off finding a used scsi card for one of your PCI slots, then putting the drive inside your G3. There would be power available in there and an internal cable is cheap. Finding an old cheap card that works with OS X might take a bit of looking but they are out there

One other possible issue... are you sure that is a wide scsi drive? Most Performas had 50 pin narrow drives. What model performa was it and was it modified?
    Damien,

Default Let me see...

My G3 is a Blue and White one. We upgraded to OSX (Jaguar or something) but it still has Classic 9 on it.

I'm not sure it's a wide scsi drive, but was told that by someone. Should I be able to count the pins to see? We upgraded the hard drive of the Performa somewhere along the way - I believe it's a LeCie(?) drive.

You're tracking with me on the $$. I don't want to spend a lot to do a one time file transfer.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Here is a link to the connectors on cables that connect to SCSI.
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/scsi_connectors.ep

As Damien says , yours is probably the IDC50 connection in the top photo.
    And as he also says a PCI card so you can connect the hard drive internally is the cheapest way to go ( unless you know someone with an old SCSI based Mac ).

Something like this secondhand off ebay -Adaptec-AHA-2930CU
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Adaptec-AHA-2930...d=p3286.c0.m14

$8.99 cheap.

Stewie

Default Thanks

Awesome. Thank you!