Thread: War Dogs of the Pacific

Default War Dogs of the Pacific

I have seen this hour movie with ads twice now on TV, either on the Military Channel or on the History Channel. Amazing dog story about the Marines in WWII deciding to use dogs to hear, smell, see Japanese troops hiding up ahead. The dogs were trained for other purposes as well, one of which was not to bark, another was to attack if commanded. Many breeds used, most large dogs but not all. The documentary follows the dogs and their handlers. Many of the handlers are still alive today and some of them were extensively interviewed.

The Army tried it but gave up and the Marines asked for the dogs. Most were trained just fine. The only pace to purchase the DVD is Amazon and mine should arrive today. k

Quote Originally Posted by kaye View Post
    ....The Army tried it but gave up and the Marines asked for the dogs. Most were trained just fine.
    Typical. Seems like only the Marines could make lemon aide out of lemons back then. Glad someone could!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

We watched the DVD night before last, wonderful. I put this on par with Eight Below which we have watched many times. k

Thumbs up

WOW, interesting that you would bring up "Eight Below".
    I happened to watch that movie last night ...... before I read this post .... that's tripping.
    h

But you gotta be a dog lover or maybe either of the movies would make you a dog lover. k

Default funny dog story

this was emailed to me by another dog lover:

An older, tired-looking dog wandered into my yard.
    I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home and was well taken care of.

He calmly came over to me, I gave him a few pats on his head;
    he then followed me into my house, slowly walked down the
    hall, curled up in the corner and fell asleep.

An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.
    The next day he was back, greeted me in my yard, walked inside and resumed his spot in the hall and again slept for about an hour.
    This continued off and on for several weeks.
    Curious I pinned a note to his collar: 'I would like to find out who the owner of this wonderful sweet dog is
    and ask if you are aware that almost every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap.'
    The next day he arrived for his nap, with a different note pinned to his collar:
    'He lives in a home with 6 children, 2 under the age of 3 - he's trying to catch up on his sleep.
    Can I come with him tomorrow?' k

Yea!, that was GOOD!
    I'm going to take that dogs advice and take a nap ....... BYE!

h

Lol!

From another email. Don't think I will teach Casper this one.
    Latin Lab k