Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No one at Apple Forum seems to know this ...

Unhappy No one at Apple Forum seems to know this ...

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post as I have been working with my new 24" iMac to learn the Mac system. All my life (almost 50) I've been a PC user, and always wondered about the Mac OS. Folks would tell me in my line of work (part-time professional photographer) I should consider the Mac for graphics, etc., but I was scared to make the move. After growing tired of the "blue screen" constant PC slow-downs, etc., I decided (two weeks ago) to give Mac a try. My ONLY regret is I didn't make the switch earlier .. all those wasted years! That being said, here I am and I have what I hope will be an easy fix, if I may ...

When using iDVD to create a slide show of one of my weddings, (I followed everything as instructed on the Online Tutorials). No one at the Apply Help Forum seems to know as I haven't received any replies. My venture to find an answer in the Internet has brought me here. Hopefully, I can come across someone who is Mac Savvy and willing to assist me and/or point me in the right direction.

I should add that someone (in that same forum) appeared to be experiencing the same problem as me. That post was published in 2007, and has yet to be answered .. seen here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=5074957

So, here I am in what appears two years later experiencing the same thing and I have no idea what is causing this. Needless to say, this is not something I want to show my future clients. I could very well dual-book and install Windows on my iMac but truthfully prefer to not EVER use a windows product again. I made the switch, and my goal is to hopefully be 100% Mac. That said, here goes ...

1- After burning the slide show when I play it back on my TV I notice just before the image changes, the image becomes blurry, sort of jerks upward (very little) then proceeds to the next image. The following image displays clear and sharp, but the above repeats just before it makes the transition to the following image. The overall product is wonderful, but I can't have my clients see something like this (I'm confident you understand). I have burned 4 DVDs trying different settings and all are the same.

Has anyone experienced this before, and if so is there a way to correct it? Or, is there a newer version of iDVD I know nothing of?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post. I humbly appreciate any help, direction, tips and/or advice you may be willing to offer.

Appreciatively,
    -Dave
    Last edited by Greentree_uk; 08-09-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo

I've never burned a photo DVD, so I have not experienced that. I do wonder though if you tried to use any of the fade out/in effects to see if the problem persists or not? Might be interesting to test anyway, see if there is some other way to get around it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Dave:
    I'm a real newbie at this stuff. But when I first got my Mac about the only thing I did was to make a few DVD's as you describe.

I have tried all the effects just to see what they look like, but I have never experienced the problem you describe.

Makes no difference if we play it on the Mac or on TV. No problem.

If nobody here answers, why not give Apple a call directly?

Keith

it isn't the ken burns effect you're talking about?

Unhappy Thank you Rick, and everyone ...

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I've never burned a photo DVD, so I have not experienced that. I do wonder though if you tried to use any of the fade out/in effects to see if the problem persists or not? Might be interesting to test anyway, see if there is some other way to get around it.Rick
    Rick/All,

I have the fade-in/out effect turned on for all the slides and burns I've created. On one particular burn, I enabled a wipe transition effect. I kept such affects enabled because for a wedding they seem appropriate (soft/smooth transition). However, it would be interesting to see if I disable all transition effects if this hiccup repeats itself. If nothing else, (as someone here suggested, thank you) I may need to call Mac directly for resolution.

Thanks everyone for the most appreciated response.

Sincerely,
    -Dave

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

My first thought as well was an effect. Don't they make a sort of mini movie out of a pic? If so when you press advance the movie would stop playing for a sec before proceeding to the next pic

Does it do it both when pressing advance and when advancing automatically?

Have you tried a different DVD player?
    Damien,

Default Haven't tried that Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    My first thought as well was an effect. Don't they make a sort of mini movie out of a pic? If so when you press advance the movie would stop playing for a sec before proceeding to the next pic

Does it do it both when pressing advance and when advancing automatically?

Have you tried a different DVD player?
    Hello Damien,

Thank you for the suggestion and for the response. This can be very annoying especially when you're charging clients for a product you're uncertain about. I used a windows (yuk) based program called ProShow which is a windows based program. It worked well under windows, but unfortunately this is what they say relative to Mac ..

"Do you have a Mac version of ProShow?
    Unfortunately, there are no Mac versions of our software available at this time. While we do not officially support it, many customers have reported to us that ProShow runs very well on Intel based Macs using Boot Camp."

Here's their site: http://www.photodex.com/products/proshowgold this program worked great, but as I mentioned I prefer to stay all Mac and not take a step backwards (IMHO) to the windows system. I also wouldn't DARE dual book and install windows on this very sexy machine. I guess I'll need to keep searching and experimenting to see what the problem is. It would have been nice to use iDVD, it looked very promising.

Sincerely,
    -Dave

Confused iMovie

Folks ...

I'm going to explore iMovie then share to iDVD for the final cut. iMoview shows potential and takes a tad longer to create slide-show "movies" but offers more features and control. Hopefully this will be a work around, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your valued feedback.
    -Dave

I have a neighbor that uses iMovie for this. He often adds a sound/music track to it as well. Even narration. iMovie might be a good direction.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Dave, I don't use iMovie for what you are doing tho it might have some advantages over my way but have never had your problem. Your 1st link, the reply by kinghorn's PS is what I do. I'm using my G5, latest Tiger OS, iLife '08.

Create the SlideShows in iPhoto with music and transitions, each Slideshow with 99 photos or less, Share > Send to iDVD with up to 6 chapters for each DVD, all DVDs Professional Quality. Burn copies of each DVD, Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R Shiny.

Professional Quality Encoding selection does take about twice as long to encode but well worth the time. I find Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R discs to be the best I have ever used.

About transitions, about the only one I do not use is, as I recall, the rotating cube or similar to that. I had a number of folks I send DVDs to complain about that one early on.

DVD players can be finicky about what they will play. None of my players have problems, one of them very old but I have two people who, tho their players are newer than my old player, will not allow chapters containing more than 99 photos. Only the first 99 photos will play. Took me awhile to figure that one out. Luck, k

I know folks who do slideshows in iPhoto and distribute via DVD like Kaye does, and they are very happy with it. Easier and faster than iMovie........I would start there.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Wow I had no idea...

Hi Guys!

iPhoto can do this too? Hmmmm, I just purchased this book: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...9780470502129/ but don't mind looking into your method to see if it will aid with the work-flow.

Please forgive me if I sound dumb, but I suppose I am to a degree. See this is my first Mac -- I have been a PC user all my life (I'm almost 50). My only regret is I didn't switch sooner, so I have somewhat of a Mac learning curve going on here as well.

Thanks again everyone, I'll look into iPhoto to see if I can do a slide show, with transition effects inclusive of music. IN the meantime, I welcome any tips/advice you may be willing to offer in this regard.

Sincerely,
    -Dave

Hello,

yep, iPhoto seems to be the best for doing this on a Mac. After you're done with editing your diashow you have to select "Send to iDVD" and simply burn it.

Another option would be using BootCamp to install Windows on your Mac or Parallels, so your able to use your Windows-App ProShow without rebooting to Windows.

Regards
    Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Thumbs up Thank you Nicolas, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Hello,

yep, iPhoto seems to be the best for doing this on a Mac. After you're done with editing your diashow you have to select "Send to iDVD" and simply burn it.

Another option would be using BootCamp to install Windows on your Mac or Parallels, so your able to use your Windows-App ProShow without rebooting to Windows.

Regards
    Nicolas
    Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for the response and suggestion. I have (am still trying) iPhoto and the results seem good thus far. I'm still learning how to manipulate the slide-shows using this great software (gosh I LOVE my mac). I even stumbled upon ordering photos and books from mac directly which is a gem for me to venture for my wedding books. Does anyone have experience with the quality of their prints, etc.?

I really want to stay away from windows altogether and don't want to remotely take the chance of :infecting" my Mac with the windows OS. As I said, if I knew before what I know now about the Mac (and still learning), I would have switched long ago and had more experience under my belt. Heck, I plugged-in my Dell laser printer and the thing just works .. no CD for drivers etc.. Don't ask me how as I have no idea .. it just recongnized it and it just works. AMAZING!

Thanks Nicolas.

Sincerely,
    -Dave

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

and should you need more power there are the Professional apps

iMovie, iPhoto and iDVD are all consumer apps though they are very capable

Final Cut Pro, Aperture, and DVD Studio Pro are the professional apps for people who need more than the consumer apps can do

They cost $ and have a higher learning curve. Something to think about later maybe
    Damien,

David, to continue with iPhoto Slideshows, this is a sample of what I do with each Slideshow (in my case no more than 99 photos for compatibility with all of my recipients and their DVD players). It is accessed thru Settings within iPhoto.

I increase the seconds to allow more time for the folks to view the slide. I use a different Transition for each slideshow, slow the Speed down which allows more time to view the transition and change the direction of the transition to suit my preference. I only show titles, normally the number of the JPEG. Repeat music, I don't like the other selection but music selection in iTunes is a whole other subject. You can load up your DVD with so much music that will never be played.

Slideshow format is self explanatory. k

Thumbs up Welcome aboard David!

Macs are not perfect......they are computers afterall......but coming from what you are used to, they seem pretty darn good, eh?

Most folks seem to like the Kodak processing you get with iPhoto, but you don't have to use the default. Other options:

http://www.shutterfly.com/downloads/features_mac.jsp
    http://picturesync.net/
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...kupload-plugin

And you can export manually and use any developer you like. Snapfish used to be good, but have not used them in a few years.

And you can consider adding some goodies to iPhoto, rather than turning to Aperture:

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=37
    http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/
    http://www.iphotobuddy.com/
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Thanks Guys ...

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the valued information, links and for taking the time to offer assistance. I looked at FotoMagico but wish there was a price in between the $29.95 and $149.95. It's a large jump from one to the other. I paid $79.95 for the software I used (in my windows days) and it served me well.

In the meantime, I have bookmarked the links provided and tutorials and will visit them often. iMovie seems to be geared more toward video as opposed to stills. Looks like iPhoto has potential too. Maybe I should concentrate on one software (for now) and learn that before jumping to the next (taking into consideration that I'm going through a PC to Mac transition and learning curve).

Thanks everyone, I'll most certainly keep you posted and humbly welcome any additional advice, suggestions, and/or tips you may be willing to offer.

Sincerely,
    -Dave

Default Kaye ...

Quote Originally Posted by kaye View Post
    David, to continue with iPhoto Slideshows, this is a sample of what I do with each Slideshow (in my case no more than 99 photos for compatibility with all of my recipients and their DVD players). It is accessed thru Settings within iPhoto.

I increase the seconds to allow more time for the folks to view the slide. I use a different Transition for each slideshow, slow the Speed down which allows more time to view the transition and change the direction of the transition to suit my preference. I only show titles, normally the number of the JPEG. Repeat music, I don't like the other selection but music selection in iTunes is a whole other subject. You can load up your DVD with so much music that will never be played.

Slideshow format is self explanatory. k
    Hi Kaye,

Where do you get that settings screen from? My settings looks entirely different. I'm using iPhoto '09 v 8.0.4 (409). My settings appears to look totally different.

Thanks again Kaye.

Sincerely,
    Dave

Dave, OK I'm using iPhoto '08 v7.1.5. I should have guessed you are using '09 but I had no idea it is so different. Hmm, can you show me what your Settings look like or link me to somewhere where there is a screenshot of what yours looks like? k