Thread: G3 clamshell iBook / boot from disk???

Default G3 clamshell iBook / boot from disk???

Hi,

I bought a G3 clammshell (300mhz) for the grandkid. It needs an OS. How do you boot from disc on a clamshell? I tried to "hold down the "C" key while turning it on with the disc in the tray but no luck.......any suggestions ?

Thanks all

Default update

I finally got to get this thing to boot from cd. Holding down the "C" key forever was the trick. I have OS 9.2.1 installed and want to put a more up-to-date OS on here. My OSX 10.3 won't boot at all. I could have sworn I've seen G3 clamshells with OSX on them...........Anyone know how to get OSX on here..... there is no firewire, so Target Mode is not an option....thx

There are some small hacks or file installs to get it on there. I don't remember now. It will be slow. I am in the middle of an open iMac now. but will look around later if you have not found it.

Info is on this site (look back for it) and Google I'm sure. Google "installing OSX on G3 Clamshell"

Default additional problem

Thx.....I'll wait to see what you come up with later and will Goggle as requested.

I have a new situation however, the machine says it has installed OS 9.2 but still won't boot ( flashing folder icon). If I put the OS disk back in, It will boot from cd again.

While it was booted to the CD screen, I was able to open the "start-up disc" screen. It shows 2 options; the cd with OS 9.2 and the Mac HD with OSX 10.3.9 ! I changed the boot drive to Mac HD and rebooted but it's as if there's no hard drive ( flashing folder screen again) .....

if this were a bad HD would I still be able to see it ???
    I am trying to figure out how to initialize (erase) the HD but I'm un familiar with OS 9 and can't find a disc utility anywhere....????

Default success!

I was able to erase the Hd and OS 9.2.1 is loaded. yeah....

i'm still not able to find any links to any firmware updates.......so if anyone can send me a link......thx millions......

i was also reading that there is a minimum ram requirement to put Tiger on a 300mhz clamshell.......is this true and if so, what's the min requirements????

OK, I just finished up. My head hurts that iMac took 2 1/2 hours to boot.

A recommended minimum possibly but not an amount to not let you install it but 256 MB would still be short. Preferably 512+ for OSX system.

I'll look for links. As I recall it's a application you need before you can install OSX.

Default Clam Shell iBook

According to "Mactracker" I have installed on my iMac, your clamshell was introduced in July 1999 and discontinued in Sekptember 2000. The original OS was Mac OS 8.6 but the Maximum Mac OS is 10.3.9. If you turn it upside down it should have Model # M2453 on the bottom.
    You need firmware update 4.1.7
    See this link for info and OS X instructions:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75128
    I just happen to have a Blueberry 366MHz with a 6 GB HD clamshell under my desk that I use to back up my books.

I am trying to attach a screenshot of the Mactracker window as a pdf but seems I do not have attachment priviledges under my user id.

you guys are the best ! this forum rocks......

looks like i need to find a 10.3 disc somewhere.......i think mine is fubar....

well, i'll take it from here and let ya know what happens......i'll pick up my challenge late tomorrow after a wonderful day at work in 120 degree heat...........

This really does not answer it but might be helpful...
    http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...p/t-62158.html

Arrow can do 10.4

I have an iBook Clamshell 466 Graphite 320 MB RAM with 10.4 (installed from an external DVD drive). 10.4 does install.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X