Thread: Moving files intact to another drive

Default Moving files intact to another drive

For copying files over from one drive to another, drag to copy wasn't the greatest way to insure integrity in OS9, and I remember using some app for that, so I ask now for OSX. I do drag for quick things, but in this case, I want to move a hard drive's contents to a new larger drive. These are audio samples that were part of the app's install, so they may have invisible stuff, I don't know. The apps themselves are not on this drive.

I'm not real accustomed to cloning, because I always thought it made a disk image rather than the files being there? (I need to learn more about that). If I use a backup software, I don't want any tie to be broken or messed up because it is not really a backup. Once the files are moved, the drive will be erased.

I just want the new drive to have the files looking exactly like they are now on the old drive. Syncrhonize X? SuperDuper? OS dragging?

And speaking of dragging, what are the times to do that / not to do that?

Thank you.

You can use many different tools, but the best reliable free one out there is CarbonCopyCloner. Lets you make a bootable clone (by moving all files, and doing a bunch of other steps required to make it bootable)......or, you can select only some files to copy. Very nice interface, tells you what it is going to do.

About the only thing that is not easy is moving files to a drive that has an OS on it, and you want to put them in a particular spot, such as on a user's desktop. If you are making copies to an empty external, or storage only without an OS directory structure, a great tool. Check it out.

If you are doing that - copy to an existing OS, data only.......Finder copies are great. For that matter, Finder copies are just fine, as long as you are moving just about anything except System related files. As long as you don't run into permissions issues. That is a separate issue.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thank you! One more question. On a 2.3 G5 PCI-X (not e), I have 2 internal drives: one Tiger, one Leopard. Then I have 2 external (eSata) that will be used with Tiger and Leopard. I'm wondering if I should format them using the Disk Utility in Tiger or Leopard? (e.g whether Leopard formats something there that Tiger may have problems with, or vise versa.)

And while on the subject, when I formatted the Tiger drive, I did it in Tiger, and I formatted/partitioned the Leopard internal using Leopard D/U, even though I use data from both drives and it is working fine. I just wondered if that was the way to do it. Thank you.

I think that sounds good. As we speak I am having issues with a Leopard formatted drive not wanting to work well with a 10.3 system. It might be the computer as it has some issues too. If it works and is stable keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac View Post
    ...I'm wondering if I should format them using the Disk Utility in Tiger or Leopard? (e.g whether Leopard formats something there that Tiger may have problems with, or vise versa.)...
    You're good to go with either.

The problems occur when you start to mix PPC and Intel Mac's.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Quote Originally Posted by biggles
    The problems occur when you start to mix PPC and Intel Mac's.
    Like I just learned.
    Last edited by rwm; 08-07-2009 at 04:25 PM.