Thread: Powermac quad 2.5 problems

Default Powermac quad 2.5 problems

hi peeps, new member here

I've got a problem with my G5.

It starts up and the apple logo comes on, I'm running Tiger on it, the apple logo comes on, the spinning gear comes on, and it stays like that for about 3-4 minutes, then the fans go crazy for a minute and the red LED comes on on the front and the system shuts down.

I've changed the memory, done a PRAM reset and pressed the motherboard reset button, same thing.

I tried reinstalling 10.4 on another hard disk in the machine, it booted up and went to the install menu, I formatted the drive and started to install and it started verifying the CD and crashed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Crashing while booted to the CD/DVD is not good.

I see you swapped RAM, but try getting down to one pair of sticks, in case the RAM is the issue........or you might have a bad slot.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

thanks

Will try that and update you.

Tried that, same thing

Any other ideas?

Not much else you can do.........getting into hardware voodoo. You replaced RAM, so.........barring new RAM being bad too (or at least not happy in your G5), hardware troubleshooting gets interesting.

Sometimes I have seen G5 towers need to have the CPUs pulled and reseated.

I had G5 that would not boot, and swapped the logic board and CPUs into another case (nothing to lose at that point, thinking it was a dead logic board or maybe PSU). Magically it booted and was solid. No new parts, just reseated everything.......can't say what did the trick or why.

Long shots to try:

Another thing to try is pulling all the RAM. Plug it in and push the power button. It will beap at you as it fails the RAM test (normal.......good). Next, pull the power cable, push the power button once to clear the SMU unit. Replace RAM, plug it in, and give it a go.

You might also try a NVRAM reset:

In open Firmware (holding "ALT+APPLE+o+f" very quickly at boot, type the following):
    PHP Code:
    reset-nvram (press Return)
    set-defaults (press Return)
    reset-all (press Return, the Mac should restart
    A shining example of G5 RAM finickiness.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks, will give that a go and update you.

Default Do you have the original G5 install DVD?

That disk should have AHT (Apple Hardware Test). That might help as well.

Take a flashlight and look around the cooling system, make sure you dont see anything abnormal.

Good luck!
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5