Thread: Parental controls

Default Parental controls

Thought I would try here as maybe there is a hardware issue I am not aware of with the iMac.

Several kids with their own user accounts on the computer. Parental restrictions on what programs they can access do not persist. After variable uses, the saved restrictions are lost/modified and I therefore do not have confidence in being able to control what is accessed. All kids will have Word (for example, though not limited to Microsoft products) then one or two will no longer have permission to use it. Very random with no pattern I can detect. This has persisted across Leopard, Jaguar, and I think Panther. System upgrades do not fix the problem and it has gone on for several years.

Is there some problem with the hardware that causes this? Any solutions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I have never been in a position to use parental controls. However, I seriously doubt you have any kind of hardware issue. Most likely one of those numerous permissions issues that have plagued Apple operating systems. Although less frequently occurring in more recent OS revisions, we still see a share of permissions screw ups.

Fraid I am not much help with ideas how to resolve it. I am not even sure how the application works. Hopefully one of the members with some experience can chime in with some ideas.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

It's gotta be a permissions thing, but exactly what I dunno.. My kid has his own accounts on 2 of my Macs, and I've never had a problem with em. Well other than some apps that need admin perms for supporting apps. The settings stay.

Maybe unclemac will have some ideas since he's dealt with a lot of multi-user setups.

Never seen that sort of issue either.

You know what though? Don't underestimate kids. If they can guess the admin password, they can click on any app they want, and they will be presented with a box that lets them authenticate as an admin, with the options to "allow once" and "always allow". If they select always allow......no more parental controls.

Pick a new password, and go back and set your parental controls again. Pick something good........something nobody can guess.

I have not looked, but I would guess there would be some history in the Console log, if you have any way of knowing when this happened.

Oh, and be sure to actually test the parental controls. Log in as the user, and try everything you don't want them to do......make sure they can't, so you have a base line to monitor from.

If that still doesn't work, there is another way, but more involved. Longer learning curve.

If you are especially worried about web content (who isn't?!), check out opendns.com, regardless of parental controls. Enter their DNS numbers in your rounter and/or network settings, and see what you can see. And can't see.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the input.

It's not the kids because they are:

too young
    it's not stuff that I am trying to limit, but rather let them use, mostly
    trustworthy (or I am very naive).

I think the permission thing is probably the right track, but that is terra incognito for me.

OK. If you walk through what you are trying to do, and what exactly happens, we may be able to figure out.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin