Thread: Burly Orange activity light always on

Default Burly Orange activity light always on

I had previously started a thread about a faulty disk that Seagate replaced, which I will call HDD5. All seems to be working well now, except the orange indicator light does not blink to indicate activity, it just remains on all the time. I have tried switching trays to troubleshoot, but it doesn't matter which tray HDD5 is installed in, it just makes the orange indicator light remain on. There is nothing on HDD5, and no programs running to access this disk. All of the other four bays lights work as designed, and blink orange only when activity to the disk occurs. HDD5 has been initialized, but like I said, contains no data.

Tray doesn't have any bearing on activity lights - drive firmware does. Different model and firmware Seagate drives act differently in how the activity pin out signals. Older firmware/drives would vary the voltage, from a low volt to high volt to indicate access. Later models would turn off the voltage entirely when the drive was not being accesses.

In real life this means some drive go from dim to bright during access while other go from off the bright during access. You have to watch the dim to bright to catch it. Sounds like one of your drives has different functionality on the activity pin than all the others. Won't and doesn't effect how the drive works though.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin