Thread: 9600 Mac edition .........

Question 9600 Mac edition .........

It would be nice to know if this problem still exists on the Quicksilvers and DAs .... mainly cause I have a DA ...

Does ANYONE use it in either model?
    Had any problems?

Anybody? .... yes/no?

thanks, h

No help here. Never had a DA and my QS has a GeForce4 Ti 4600. k

Default Never a 9600 or PC flashed

I have used both a DA and QS with the Rage Pro, GF 3, GF 400 MX,GF ti 4600 and possibility others.

Question

How does this card work out in a DA?

ATi Radeon 9800 Pro Mac G4/G5 128MB AGP or ...... Mac ATi Radeon 9800 256Mb DDR G4 4x/ G5 AGP.
    Both have DVD and VGA ports.

I know they get hot but .... since I've switched over to SATA HDs the case is finally KOOL.

Have Branes fan mod for the processors exit.

Maybe add a slot coller next to the card.

Do they draw too much power?
    DA has 338 watts.
    Using SATA HD and SCSI HD plus their control cards.

I bet this is the MAJOR drawback!

Has anybody ever used these in a DA or Quicksilver?

One of you have I know!

Good, bad ........ yes/ no?

Help me find an answer ..... or is it Geforce Ti4600 or take a chance and buy a 9600 Pc/Mac.

Thanks, h

I have the Radeon 9800 Pro ME 256MB VRAM in my GigaMDD which has the original 400W PS. But, as I recall, you have to also know info which is printed on the PS about other voltage capabilities besides just the 110-120 VAC. I also had the Radeon 9800 Pro ME 128MB VRAM before I upgraded to the 256MB VRAM version. For awhile I also had the GeForce 780 GT 256MB VRAM but was not terribly happy with that and then purchased the Radeon with 256MB VRAM when it became available.

Don't you also have to know what the AGP slot in your DA is capable of? 1x, 2x, 4x or whatever. k

Re thinking this I do think I used a new out of box 9600 Pro with 64MB VRAM.

I'll search the threads but that was 3-4 or more years old where myself, Kaye and others documented most all of the results.

Question

Another question ?
    Never knew this before ....... what's with the Geforce Ti ..... there's two models. One is a long card and the other a short card.

I read somewhere that the difference between the two is that Apple has a warning on the single sheet doc with the card that if you ship your system by truck or plane, you should remove the card from the computer prior to shipping to avoid any damage from excessive vibration. (This is not required with the later model/longer card that engages in the case's card support bracket.)

Any other difference?

My DA won't be going anywhere and if so will remove the card

I thought that because the one card is shorter, it would be better all around for air flow.

The shorter card also has a S port...... that does NOTHING. Is this a PC card thats modified or NO?

The guy selling the card doesn't mention this in the add.
    He has ten of them for sale.

What are your opinions?

Has anybody ever used the shorter card with out any problems?

Anybody out there?

h

Quote Originally Posted by K
    Don't you also have to know what the AGP slot in your DA is capable of? 1x, 2x, 4x or whatever. k
    I recall the DA and QS both supporting 4X AGP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkell View Post
    Another question ?
    Never knew this before ....... what's with the Geforce Ti ..... there's two models. One is a long card and the other a short card.

I read somewhere that the difference between the two is that Apple has a warning on the single sheet doc with the card that if you ship your system by truck or plane, you should remove the card from the computer prior to shipping to avoid any damage from excessive vibration. (This is not required with the later model/longer card that engages in the case's card support bracket.)

Any other difference?

My DA won't be going anywhere and if so will remove the card

I thought that because the one card is shorter, it would be better all around for air flow.

The shorter card also has a S port...... that does NOTHING. Is this a PC card thats modified or NO?

The guy selling the card doesn't mention this in the add.
    He has ten of them for sale.

What are your opinions?

Has anybody ever used the shorter card with out any problems?

Anybody out there?

h
    AFAIK the shorter card is the retail card, and the long one is OEM. Mine is the latter. I have no airflow problems, but I have a slot cooler next to the card.

I don't believe it's possible to flash a PC version of the card without swapping the ROM chip. I could be wrong about that since it's been so long since I researched this stuff, but I believe that the PC card's ROM chip is too small to hold the Mac ROM. There were also a few different revisions of PC cards IIRC.

Red face

I think your right on with the ROM info.
    Then they must be MACs versions .... right?

The small card also has an S video port on them ... all ten!
    Says they don't do anything.

Did the short (OEM) Mac version ever have these?

Anybody got any web sites for moding cards?

h

Hazkell,
    Just received my, nVidia GeForce FX5200 tested it and works with G4.
    Specifications
    GeForce FX5200 GPU (4 pixel pipeline)
    256 MB DDR memory
    128-bit memory bandwidth (6.4 GB/sec)
    1.1 billion texels/sec fill rate, 68 million Vertices/sec
    350MHz RAMDAC
    Multiple Display connections
    dual VGA ports with s-Video
    up to 2048x1536 @ 75Hz

I thought there was something wrong with my 9600 pro just got from ebay. I need to run 2 large 52 inch LCDs this weekend 1920x1080. From the dual DVI-D outs I used an adapter for VGA for its PC input. With the help from Unclemac some of the problems I encountered was fixed.
    The NVidia GeForce is more than half the price of the 9600 if you just have to connect to PC-VGA ins of the lcd. and it can run up to 1920x1080 displays as I tested. No problems yet on both cards (9600 Mac Edition $160.00 and the GeForce FX5200 $79.00). There is a warning about heat but my G4s are modified. I tried playing regular DVD's and run audio through M-Audio Revolution 5.1 pci card and happy with the results.
    After installing the GeForce FX5200, I realized that it has no information about macs in their website nor drivers like the 9600 pro. Probably its for PC and flashed. Who knows, as long as it works. (for now) Cheers

I had a 9600XT from a G5 in a DA to use an ADC monitor, but when the card eventually died I tried a flashed 9800 pro from ebay and it works fine in the DA, S-Video out too. Of course I also had to get a DVI-ADC adapter for the monitor, but it was easier than modding a new card. The case already had additional cooling, so not sure about any heat issues.

I think the seller was local338 or something from China, used them 3 times and their stuff was always fully functional.
    Last edited by despaxas; 07-14-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkell View Post
    I think your right on with the ROM info.
    Then they must be MACs versions .... right?

The small card also has an S video port on them ... all ten!
    Says they don't do anything.

Did the short (OEM) Mac version ever have these?

Anybody got any web sites for moding cards?

h

Strangedogs had a lot of good info on card flashing, but the last time I tried to get in there I couldn't log in. They also have a wiki page.

Talking

Well, I got tired of looking and reading about what will, wont or might work!

Bought a Geforce Ti ..... the long card.
    I'll still be looking for a 9600 or 9800.

I checked over and over the cards that guy in Japan had.
    He has a GOOD feedback rating.

Thinking that it just might be another PayPal mess ..... I said NO!

despaxas - thanks for your input .... you too Disc2.

This post is now finished ....... for now.

Lets get out of here!

Thanks all, h

PS: DV Monitors next post.

I bought a used DA off ebay a couple of years ago that had a flashed 256mb 9600 already in it.
    It runs fine and I get all the supported resolutions and graphic OSX goodness that the other cards get but it is not the fastest card.
    I think the 9600s were regarded as a stopgap solution until the much better 9800s started to appear.
    I have also tried my 128mb 9800 in the same computer and would regard that card as equal to the 9600.
    I'd much rather buy a 256mb 9800 as they are a well regarded GPU.
    That local 33 guy from China is also a good seller. I have bought two cards from him previously for friends and have had no problems with either the transaction or the cards themselves.
    The only thing that I am a little wary of though is that he uses pre-used cards and not new ones like some of the other ebay sellers.That may also explain why he is so much cheaper than the other guys.

Stewie

Arrow GeForce 4 Ti

The GeForce 4 Ti GPU has a hardware strap to determine whether it's used on a Macintosh or PC (Big Endian or Little Endian). Thus if you have a GeForce 4 Ti that works on a Macintosh, the board was almost guaranteed to have been manufactured for the Macintosh. GF6 and later, GF 4MX, GF3, GF2 have no similar hardware strap.

The Performance of a GeForce 4 MX is generations older than the Radeon 9600. In the following list, performance decreases as you read down.

NV35= GeForce FX 5900 ~ Radeon 9800 All, 9700 All
    NV30= GeForce FX 5800 ~ Radeon 9600 XT

NV28 = GeForce 4Ti 4?00 AGP 8x ~ Radeon 9600 Pro
    NV25 = GeForce 4Ti 4?00 AGP 4x ~ Radeon 9600

NV31 = GeForce FX 5200, 5400, 5500 ~ Radeon 9200 SE ~Intel X3?00
    NV22 = GeForce 3 ~ Radeon 9200 SE ~Intel X3?00
    NV20 = xBox
    NV18 = GeForce 4MX AGP 8x, 4000 ~ Radeon 7500 ~ Intel GMA 3?00

NV17 = GeForce 4MX AGP 4x ~ Radeon SDR, 7200/7000 ~ Intel GMA 9?0
    NV15 = GeForce 2GTS AGP 4x
    Last edited by ricercar; 08-21-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

Tongue

Thanks for the info!
    Good to know!

In the process of reviewing new monitors.

If one works in PS or takes photography/video seriously ..... must have a color correction capable monitor.

Not the easiest choice to find with an attractive price.

thanks,h