Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: G4 Compatibility with Digi001

Sent it out yesterday, and you should get it by the end of the week I would guess. It has all the extra updates and will boot any mac, laptop or desktop, from a Beige G3 to DP1.25 MDD. I also checked it on a 17" iMac with the nVidia GeForce4MX, and it works with acceleration. I left the Setup Assistant in the Startup Items folder, so it will launch right after booting up and you can configure the OS however you need. Just let us know if you have any problems, good luck.

Cool Sounds good

Thanks a lot for all of the help! Of course, the one thing I still can't figure out is the problem with AirPort...I installed the retail version of Panther last night, downloaded a bunch of the necessary updates, made sure AirPort 4.2 was on there, and attempted to connect to the network...and you can guess how well that went. Maybe I'll sell the AirPort card and try to find another means of WiFi for the QS...does anyone know of any other wireless card or adapter I can try? Thanks,

-Ryan

There is a PCI wireless card by Buffalo (WLI2-PCI-G54), that is recognized by the OS as an Airport card. I think it uses the same Broadcom chip as Airport cards. I have a couple and could only find them at Best Buy, which is strange since I also checked Fry's. I just looked around online and they may not be sold anymore, but maybe you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by ryepie75 View Post
    ....Of course, the one thing I still can't figure out is the problem with AirPort...I...
    What are you using for a base station?

Methinks the Airport card for the QS is the original and only does 802.11b, am I right?

Is your wireless router, whatever it is, set up to handle 802.11b? I guess most everything out there right now is .g or .n.

I have a MacWireless PCI card in my ol' B&W which does b&g just fine. The original Airport card in my Blueberry iBook only does .b.

I'm using Apple Airport Extreme set to handle b & g for that reason.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

What are you using for a base station?
    It's a D-Link DIR-628 dual-band wireless N router...it's set up for 2.4GHz, compatibility with .b, .g, and .n, and WPA personal.

Yes, the AirPort card is an original one and only does .b, but the router is set up to be backwards compatible with .g and .b...I've gone through the settings on the router ad nauseum to see if there's anything else to change. I could change it to WEP, but then that only allows .g and .b, and my wife has a new laptop she needs to use on the network...I'm just not sure what to put in for the password to connect to the network--there are administrative & user passwords (which are for modifying/viewing router settings), a security key, and a router PIN...I've tried them all, and every time it says there is a problem connecting to the network. The laptop is connected to the network using the security key...but that's Windows Vista, and it specifically asked for the security key. I was looking at the MacWireless stuff, and I suppose I could try that. I guess it's not the end of the world if I can't get the QS online wirelessly, but it would be nice. At least I only paid $23 for the AirPort card...

Exclamation Different OS 9 boot problem

So I got the OS 9.2.2+ bootable disc from despaxas, and I booted from it and it will start up in OS 9, but it is frozen with the pointer in the upper left hand corner and the wrong time in the upper right...and that's pretty much all that happens. There is no control strip on bottom or any menus at the top...so there has to be some other issue with my computer that won't let OS 9 boot! I guess I've reached the point where I'll just use PTLE 6.4 in OS X and should forget OS 9...now the problem with that is the installer is on the dead Graphite's master HDD (I downloaded it from Digidesign instead of buying the CD). I suppose I can stick that drive in the QS to get it off of there...no word yet from the repair shop on what's wrong with the Graphite. If it's anything but the mobo, I can probably fix it. Well anyway, that's where I'm at!

For troubleshooting purposes, boot from the CD and when the "happy mac" comes on the screen, hold down the shift key until the MacOS screen appears. It should say "extensions off" on that screen if the key was held down in time. Just to see if the problem is still there after most things are disabled.

I have two OS9 computers (out of 10 that still run OS9) that seem to hang for almost a minute after startup, mouse included, then the desktop icons and control strip appear and everything is fine. They are both loaded with cards and software and are total workhorses, so I've never looked into why only those two do it, but I just wanted to make sure you waited for a couple minutes after startup to make sure it really was hanging. Especially since it's booting from a CD and will take a lot longer to complete everything.

Another way you can boot into OS9 is by copying the OS from the CD to a HD. In OSX, double click the HD icon, and drag the two folders on the CD into that window. Then open Startup Disk in system preferences, and in the row of possible systems you should see the HD name with 9.2.2 listed. Maybe booting from something that isn't read-only will make it happier.

OK, so it started up fine with the extensions off...but what do I do to install the OS on my computer? I found the OS setup assistant, which I went through, but I remember always doing that after installing the OS. When I booted it a couple of times earlier with the extensions on, I had let it sit for at least 5 minutes, but it was still frozen, so I had to hit the reset button. So what extension(s) might be causing a conflict?

I went ahead and copied the 2 folders from the OS 9.2.2+ CD to the volume I created for OS 9, and then booted from it. If I leave the extensions on, it boots up, but instead of freezing, I can move the pointer around, which is in the form of the wristwatch, the time is in the upper right, but nothing else happens. I let it sit for a few minutes and restarted with extensions off and it boots fine--now I just have to figure out what the problem extension(s) are...

Quote Originally Posted by ryepie75 View Post
    ....--now I just have to figure out what the problem extension(s) are...
    ah! System 9! No! I really don't miss it much

Hehe! Just kidding. I know you want a solid System 9 for PTLE 5 and all those cool plugins you have. No reason it shouldn't work just fine.....eventually. Good luck finding the the extension conflict.

Just curious, but what are the plugins you have for PTLE 5?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

It would take one hell of a plug-in to get me back on 9 for audio work. Even with my setup dialed in I still got the occasional DAE error or random freeze/hang. It's the nature of the beast.

Once I got my 10.3./6.4 system set up it never crashed on me. M-Powered 7.1 has been completely stable from the get-go. The Delta driver gets wonky sometimes with system sounds, but no issues with PT.

You don't have some of those secret anti-suck plugs do you?

Have you used Extension Manager yet? It's strange that there is some conflict, but I'll skip past that for the moment and maybe it will make more sense when the extension stuff is worked out. Boot with extensions off and then open the Extension Manager control panel. It will show a list of all available system "plug-ins", and since it will be a dedicated audio machine, a lot of them can and should be disabled. The first step will be to click on the pop down button at the top of the window that will most likely say "My Settings" or it might say "Mac OS ALL", either way click on it and select "Mac OS Base" and then restart without holding down the shift key. See what happens and let us know, since it will determine the next step. I should clarify that this should be done from the OS9 HD and not booting from the CD.

OK, so I restarted in OS 9.2.2 with a base extension set, and it seems fine--the control strip comes up now and everything seems normal. Extensions that aren't on in the base set are:

1. DialAssist
    2. Modem
    3. Remote Access
    4. Speech
    5. Airport Driver
    6. DVD Navigation Manager
    7. Internet Access
    8. MacromediaRuntimeLib
    9. Microsoft Component Library
    10. MS Font Embed Library (PPC)
    11. OpenTpt Remote Access
    12. OpenTpt Serial Arbitrator
    13. Remote Only
    14. SoundSprocket Lib
    15. Speech Manager
    16. Stuffit Engine
    17. Stuffit Engine PowerPlug

If I had to make a guess, maybe it's something to do with AirPort? Anyway, that's where I'm at. Thanks,

-Ryan

Unless you use a dial-up modem or speech you can leave that stuff off.

Most shared libraries are not a problem.

Extension conflicts are usually due to incompatible hardware drivers, and things that enable certain functions at the base OS level. I never liked the control strip myself. It can cause problems, and there's really nothing in there you can do that can't be done from the control panels themselves.

I used to be reasonably good at extension tweaking, but my skills have suffered since moving to X for the majority of my work. The basic rule is when in doubt turn it off. If it's something that the system needs it will let you know.

Hi all--I've been busy lately so I haven't had time to mess around with too much Mac stuff...but I did try out a MacWireless PCI card in the QS and, as usual, it doesn't work...it's as if the computer doesn't even see it. I followed everything it said to do (update software, etc.) and when I open the system profiler, it doesn't have anything listed in that slot. It is the 11n PCI card with the 3 antennas--does anyone have this or know how to get it to work? MacWireless support hasn't gotten back to me yet...

Also, some people have asked what plug-ins I have for PTLE 5.1 on OS 9--I have all or most of the Bomb Factory stuff, SansAmp, Auto-tune, JoeMeek EQ and Compressor, mic modeler, among many others. With PTLE 6.4, I just have the basic DigiRack stuff, which is fine, but I have sessions saved with some of the fun plug-ins used on them. I don't really want to spend a lot to get these plug-ins for 6.4, so that's why I like to use OS 9.

My DA had a MacWireless card in it when I bought it, but I pulled it. Never tried it since all my towers are wired to my router. Strange that the card doesn't even show up in the slot. It should at least show something there. Try another slot?

You know that the Bomb Factory plugs are available free for 6.4 right? I don't find 'em very useful myself. I primarily use the Digirack III stuff, and Massey.

Exclamation more OS 9 weirdness...

Okay so now what I did was install the hard drives I had in the Graphite into the QS...and was able to update OS 9.1 to 9.2.2 through use of Classic. I also updated Quicktime to 6.0.3 for OS 9.2.2. When I boot from the OS 9.2.2+ disk I got from despaxas, it slowly starts up and the desktop looks like I booted from my OS 9 volume...then I restart and try to boot from my OS 9 volume, and it hangs up on the screen where it says "Starting up", right before the extensions would start appearing on the bottom...and it didn't make any difference if I restarted with extensions off, because it doesn't get that far! What would be the problem this time? It's almost an obsession to get OS 9 working, because I was messing around in PTLE 6.4 but I miss my plug-ins...I would have to reconfigure every session with different plug-ins or make do without them...which defeats the purpose of me getting a faster computer!

But on a positive note, I did get the MacWireless card working--it turns out I needed an older version of the driver, which tech support sent me via email. So at least something works how I want it to!

Didi you install 9 on it's own volume/drive or into your 10.3 system?

There are some things that load without showing an icon on the bottom during startup.

was able to update OS 9.1 to 9.2.2 through use of Classic.
    Does this mean you used Software Update? Might be better to install 9.1, boot from that, then use the downloadable 9.2 updates:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n120030

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n75186

Well, OS 9.1 was on the drive I pulled from the graphite...the QS won't boot 9.1, so I downloaded the 9.2.1 update for the heck of it, opened the .dmg in OS X, and when I opened the OS 9 software installer, Classic opened--where I was able to install the update onto the OS 9 volume. Then I did the same with the 9.2.2 update, so now the OS 9 volume is updated to 9.2.2 (which the QS needs to boot) and it gets hung up on startup, as described in my last post. Of course I could just erase that volume and try to start over...but I have everything installed on that volume already, so I was just seeing if I could update it to 9.2.2 and be done with it...and I'm so close to having everything how I like it, but OS 9.2.2 just doesn't want to boot up! That's basically what's going on.