Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: G4 Compatibility with Digi001

A couple of questions so that I can get it clear in my mind what it is you've done so far;

You were able to boot the QS from your OS X Install disc, partition the drive, and install OS X, all ok? I presume you have a retail Panther disc?

You did ensure that the "Install OS 9 Drivers" box was checked when you partitioned the drive?

You received the QS with it's original OS 9 Install and Restore discs?

If it's booting in OS X ok, then I assume that the battery is ok.

I think that the first thing I'd do would be an Open Firmware reset.

Restart the Mac and at the chime hold down the 4 keys Command-Alt-o-f until the command-line screen appears;

at the prompt type the following commands (not the "return"s of course!)

reset-nvram [return]

set-defaults [return]

reset-all [return]

The Mac will now restart.

How about moving your OS 9/PTLE 5 drive from the Graphite into the QS?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

What he said.

OS 9 systems are relatively interchangeable between Macs of the same type. The only snag you may run into is with extensions for different hardware especially video.

Another thing you could try is to just install 9 from the disk while booted from your 10.3 system instead of trying to boot from the install disk. Like was mentioned though you do need the OS9 drivers installed on the drive. Looks to me like that might be the problem.

You were able to boot the QS from your OS X Install disc, partition the drive, and install OS X, all ok? I presume you have a retail Panther disc?
    Um, actually it's not a retail version, but it worked fine in my Graphite G4, so I figured I'd try it here. I know I installed the OS 9 drivers when reformatting the drive--I always do, and I've done this a lot. I guess I have no way of knowing if these discs are the actual discs that came with the computer--I'll contact the seller and find out. Also I'm not so sure about the battery, because I unplugged it for a minute today and the date and time reset itself. I won't have time today to try any of the other things...but I suppose I can suck it up and order a retail version of Panther if you think that's the problem.

And in an unrelated problem, I am having trouble connecting to my home network with my newly installed AirPort card. Is the password looking for the password of the router or the security key? Well in either case, it doesn't work. It keep saying that there was an error joining the network, or something about not supporting encryptions or something like that. I'm about ready to give up!

Original Airport cards do not support the newer encryption standards. They were originally WEP, but can be updated to WPA under 10.3.3 with Airport 3.3 or later.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    Original Airport cards do not support the newer encryption standards. They were originally WEP, but can be updated to WPA under 10.3.3 with Airport 3.3 or later.
    So where can I actually get the AirPort 3.3 update? I tried looking for it online, but had no luck--even on Apple.com.

Quote Originally Posted by ryepie75 View Post
    ....I'm about ready to give up!
    Nooooo! Hang in there.

If your OS installers work fine on the Graphite, why not put the drives destined for the QS in the Graphite, make your installs, and then put them back in the QS?

Not an elegant solution, and doesn't address the problem, but it's a workaround.

The graphite G4 can run OS 9.0 (and earlier), but the dual 1GHz QS can only run 9.2.2. biggles has a good idea, install OS9.x on the graphite with the installers you have, then update to 9.2.2, and put the drive back in the QS. 9.0 can't be updated to 9.2.2 in one step (unless Software Update in 9 does it in one step, I have never tried). If you are starting with 9.0 or 9.0.4, then that must be updated to 9.1, then updated to 9.2, then finally 9.2.2. Sort of a pain...

The OS9 installation disks for computers that can only run 9.2.2, have 9.2.2 as a complete disk image that is just copied to a HD, usually within OSX. Did the QS come with the original OS9 restore disk? If not, it seems you will have to update it to 9.2.2 on the graphite.

OK, so I downloaded and installed AirPort 4.2, restarted the computer, and still no dice--can't connect to my WPA network. I tried the router password and the security key as the password, but it's the same as yesterday. That's a good idea with configuring things in the Graphite and installing the drive back into the QS--that had crossed my mind, but I didn't know if it could work. But at this point, I'm ready to wipe the drive on the QS, install the Jaguar that came with the computer, and order a retail version of Panther I can upgrade the Jaguar with! I might as well do it right, even though it still would be a lot of messing around--and there's still no guarantee the OS 9.2.2 CD will boot...but it seems more likely! Oh the wonders of working with older Macs! Well, I guess that's where I'm at. Thanks for all of the help so far!

-Ryan

Is your router using WPA2? If so the Airport card won't work.

I remember having a problem entering a password on a router once with my Pismo (original Airport card). After some digging around I found that I needed to put a $ in front of the character string. Don't remember the particulars (I'm not a networking Guru) but it may be worth a shot.

Since the Airport card doesn't support the higher-grade encryption I also have my router set to accept connections only from certain MAC addresses. You may want to do that to have an extra level of security. You can find the MAC address in System Preferences>Network>Airport.

Angry

Well according to my router status page, it is WPA and not WPA2, so it should work, but no matter what I do, I can't connect wirelessly to the network with the QS. The built-in ethernet works just fine, but not the wireless. I tried the password, security key, router PIN, with and without with the $ in front, but nothing works. I figure maybe late Thursday night I will have time to erase the drive and start over, because that's all I think there's left to do!

Check all your software, both OS and airport. Yell if you are still looking for OS disks.........may have some spare old ones.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Unhappy Okay this sucks

So because nothing else was working right, I went ahead and wiped the hard drive of the Panther that was on there and did a fresh install of Jaguar that came with the computer. After that was up and running, I tried to boot from the OS 9.2.2 gray disc, and the same thing happened where the screen went dark during startup from the CD. So I restarted and did the Open Firmware reset that biggles suggested, but the OS 9.2.2 disc still crashes on startup. The first software restore disc also freezes on startup. I contacted the seller of the computer and he swears that these are the discs that came with it originally. So I'm pretty much in the same place, but instead of Panther, I've got Jaguar. I did order a retail version of Panther that I have yet to receive. But at this point, I'm not sure if it will make any difference when I install it. I guess I still can try and configure a drive on the Graphite and move it over to the QS. For the heck of it I ran the Hardware Test and everything there passed, if that counts for anything! Oh well, that's all I can stand to do for tonight.

Do you have the nVidia GeForce4 MX video card? It looks like that is what originally shipped in the dual 1GHz QS. OS 9.2.2 does not install nVidia drivers, so that may be your problem. They are included in MacOS CPU Software 5.6, and should be present on the OS9 CD that originally came with the QS. Either way, I can email the nVidia OS9 drivers if you want to try it.

Unhappy Things couldn't get worse, right...

...but they did. Now my Graphite AGP G4, which I've had for almost 9 years, has died. It was running earlier today, was shut down, and was brought into another room closer to an ethernet cable, so I could mess around with upgrading OS 9 to eventually clone it to the QS...and the power button now does nothing. It looks like the power supply still works, because I have a VGA studio display hooked up to it, and the amber standby light comes on when the computer is plugged in. So it could be the power button assembly itself, or the logic board, right? I had both of them replaced shortly after I got the computer because they had both failed. I tried a PMU reset, but no luck. Could there be a problem with the battery? Another weird thing I noticed is, in looking at the gray ribbon cable that connects the hard drive to the motherboard, one of the individual wires is missing a section about 1/8" long...I don't know how that could have happened...but I would assume if that were the problem, the power button would at least light up, but it's stone cold dead. This whole situation is really spiraling out of control in a bad way--I'm almost afraid to turn on the QS again because I might mess that up too! Any suggestions of what I can do with the Graphite?

Default When it rains it pours

The piece missing from the ATA cable is normal.

Guess the AGP knew it was about to get replaced eh?

First thing I usually do when something like that happens is to make sure everything is clean, and secure. Sometimes pulling the battery, and letting it sit a day or so can fix 'em. There's also the "voodoo fix" that has been posted on here a few times:

Quote Originally Posted by Greentree UK
    Remove ram. remove power cord. remove battery. Reset cuda/ PMU, push pwr button. insert pwr cord and boot yes without ram if you get a beep then ur back in business. put ram back in. if not as above but press pwr and cuda together. have had this issue with a good few G4's and this always fixes them. if not. then leave overnight with pwr out. battery and ram out and when you come in in the morning press pwr button on front one last time. then pwr up.
    Never tried it myself, but never had a Mac die on me completely yet.

Wow, that sounds like my luck. If the graphite doesn't come back up, I can just send you a bootable OS9 CD with the extra updates installed including the nVidia drivers for the QS if you want.

So I've tried everything, including the voodoo fix, but nothing works (I took out the battery and RAM and went camping overnight, came back this morning, tried starting without the RAM...but nothing happened). I had a small glimmer of hope when I tried plugging in the QS to the same power strip and it wouldn't turn on either (I almost had a heart attack also!), but I plugged it straight into the wall, and it worked fine...but no such luck with the Graphite--still dead. There is an authorized Apple service location near where I live, so I may take it in Monday and see what the problem is. But in any case, I do have the nVidia GeForce4 MX video card in the QS, so I will take that bootable OS 9 CD that despaxas is offering--let me know what you want for it. And yes, I thought of this also, M. Brane:
    Guess the AGP knew it was about to get replaced eh?
    Oh well, thanks for the help, and hopefully I can get things going with or without the Graphite!

On the upside at least it waited until you had a replacement in the works.

If it were me I'd just yank the drives from the AGP, and stick 'em in the QS. It should boot both X, and 9. You probably won't have any video acceleration in 9 though until you scare up the drivers for the NVidia. I went through the same thing when I got my DA. Don't remember where I found 'em, but it was not easy.

No prob, just email your address to (xxxxx), and I'll probably send it out tomorrow USPS. It's just a couple dollars to ship a CD, so don't worry about paying me. The CD is already made too, since my MDD didn't come with the original OS9 disks.
    Last edited by despaxas; 07-14-2009 at 08:21 AM.