Thread: Burly 2 Bay eSata questions

Default Burly 2 Bay eSata questions

Hi. I have a dual 2.3 G5 (early 2005, PCI-X) that has a Norco 4618 4-port eSata card in it.

(http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail....a57b45264df111)

I am interested in the Burly 2 Bay 1 TB and wanted to clarify some questions I had. I would be using one of its drives for audio sample storage and the other for backup, probably, or Photoshop type working files. (I'm still trying to sort out the best way for all my needs. I also have 2 Seagate 500G internals).

1) Will this Burly work with this Norco card?

2) One of the things I liked about this Burly was that I could have an extra HD in a spare drive tray, to swap out periodically with another in the bay, correct? This would mean I could use this HD for extra data, or as a different backup drive, which could be removed and stored elsewhere. Plus new drives/spares could be added, instead of having increasing amounts of external single drives. The spares would be sealed tight in the spare drive tray, yes?

3) This is not a RAID setup is it, or is it JBOD?

4) For audio (not sample) streaming (recording and reading to the disk simultaneously) am I better off using my other internal disk, or one of the drives on the Burly? This is with one of the Burly drives already being for samples which will be used at the same time as the audio recording/reading.

Thank you!
    Last edited by macmac; 06-18-2009 at 11:20 AM.

The Norco card is a copy of all the other SIlicon Image cards. It will work.

All drives are JBOD unless you use software to RAID them.

You can freely hotswap drives in and out of the Burly.

There is no difference between an internal SATA drive and an external SATA drive. The Burly has better environmentals than the inside of a MacPro or G5 so drives will last longer in the Burly. All SATA drives in the configuration you stated would be totally independent, so no choke points or delays for your audio file transfers.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

From the picture it looks like it has two connectors in the back, but then there was a bottom (bay) slot that looked to have the metal cover on it (much like an unused PCI slot). Does each drive connect individually to the eSata card in the computer (i.e. two ports, not one)? And do they mount on the Mac's desktop as two drives, not one unit like a RAID?

As I wouldn't need to be accessing the Burly every day, is there any downside to turning it on only when needed (before turning on the computer)?
    Last edited by macmac; 06-18-2009 at 02:26 PM.

2 Cables, one for each drive.

You do not have to ever turn on a Burly before starting the computer. It will mount up any time you power the Burly up, no need to ever reboot the computer. We never so much as even sleep a computer around here. Last longer by a long ways when left up and running. And Mac OSX does its maintenance scheduled at 3AM, if shutdown or sleeping every night it will never do the maintenance. Drives last MUCH longer when left up and stable, which means if they are in an enclosure that maintains stable power and stable temperature. But you can dismount the Burly drives and power it off, then power it on at any time and they will remount.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin