Thread: dead iMac G5

Default dead iMac G5

well I craigslisted (purchased) a dead 1.8GHz, 20" G5 iMac today.

definitely could be anything, found a service manual and it appears the Power Supply or Logic Board is the culprit... dont want to spend an arm and a leg... any thoughts as to what to try first?

LED 1 shows power coming from PSU, but that the extent of any life.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

My experience:

Blown caps: The machine runs, but is flaky, randomly shuts off or won't startup. If it has bulging caps, start it up with back off and watch the 3 diag LEDs on the logic board. If only 2 light up, then the LB is dead and machine is parts! If all 3 light up, then fixing the caps will resolve the problems.

PSU: Usually won't start at all, and normally only 1 light on LB. Replace PSU and you are good to go.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I have a 17 with the same issues.
    Damien,

I am working on a neighbors 20 inch G5 iMac. It chimes and then the power supply shuts off. Always shuts off at a different moment, so I think it is a power supply. I ordered a new power supply from David at www.galaxyhp.com $129. I'll let you know how it comes out.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Thanks for the replies thus far...

Have you seen this website??

http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-t...le-imac-g5.php

dunno if I wanna replace caps, but something to think about (have the experience, dont have the time...)
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

.....May have a line on repaired G5 LBs....with new caps. Will check and report back. Don't know if you send them in for repair, or if they swap out, or sell repaired without swaps.

Rick: based on your symptoms, a PS is about a 90% chance of doing the trick.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

My power supply swap did the trick. Back up and running.

2 minute repair once I had the replacement.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin