Thread: Lycom LYCeSATA-4e stuck in restart cycle?

Confused Lycom LYCeSATA-4e stuck in restart cycle?

I've had the Lycom LYCeSATA-4e card for about a month now, and for the last 3 weeks it's been working fine with a Rosewill 5-bay eSATA enclosure (RSV-S5). I've got 2 sets of RAID0 1TB drives and one 1.5TB drive in the enclosure.

I used the drives this morning with no trouble, but this afternoon I noticed extremely slow performance while trying to copy files to the drive. Long story short, I found out that the drives were cyclically shutting down and restarting (about every 60 seconds). To be more specific, as I was watching their status LEDs, they'd all go off at the same time, pause for a second or so then light up sequentially from the bottom up. Then the activity light would flash as the drives were re-mounted into my machine (Mac Pro running the latest OS).

I shut everything down, pulled the eSATA cable and powered up the enclosure, but the drives did not come on-line. From this I gathered that the Lycom card was responsible for telling the drives to start up. I plugged the cable back in, restarted everything again, and had the same problem. At this point I'm assuming it's the card that is the problem.

Has anyone seen an issue like this and found resolution? Any suggestions on what to try? This is my primary storage device for my photographs, and it gets used heavily every day. I'm really stuck here and I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Is there a firmware update for that card?
    Damien,

In Profiler the driver should show up as SIliconImage3124u version 2.0.3 No updates needed.

The light behavior sounds about right. What drives are in your enclosure? Firmware on drives is usually more critical than anything the card is doing.

Which chipset is in the enclosure? Most of my experience is with the Sil Image 3726. There are other chipsets though with possibly different firmware on them.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Is there a firmware update for that card?
    I just bought the card, and as far as I know I have the most recent firmware (I downloaded it from the link on the MacGurus website)

Rick, here's what I get from Profiler:
    Tungsten
    Uploaded with plasq's Skitch!

I'm using brand new Seagate Barracuda drives, 4@1TB and 1@1.5TB.

I looked in the enclosure, it does in fact use the Silicon Image Sil3276CBHU chip.

I thought it might be a heat issue, but per the advice from Lycom tech support I tried using just one drive, and the problem still occurs. It seems that the fewer drives you are using, the longer the interval between resets.

I need to do something. Either replace the card, the enclosure, or both. I'm just trying to understand which one is responsible for the behavior I'm seeing.

If I can't figure this out I'll just have to start swapping components. Can we try a replacement card? If that doesn't do it then I'll know it's the enclosure.

Thanks.